Who loves the fluffy and moist texture of freshly baked bread? How about bread that is full of delicious Apple flavor? This Apple Braid Bread Recipe will be a wonderful addition to any meal, whether it is breakfast, lunch or dinner. This incredible bread is perfect as a side platter to your favorite meal or a perfect bread snack to fill up your tummy.
Apple Braid Bread
Enjoy this simple and easy recipe. The ingredients are not too complex in this Apple Braid Bread Recipe and you can find them at your local grocery store or you may already have them in your kitchen. This bread is full of flavor with the most amazing sweet and soft taste. Be sure to write this recipe down and enjoy it with your closest friends and family. This may just become a favorite recipe!
- Sugar– Every great dessert has sugar.
- Cinnamon spice– Cinnamon spice goes perfectly with apples.
- Apples– You will have them peeled and diced and use either granny smith or honey crisp work well.
- Lemon juice- This will keep the apples from turning brown.
- Cheddar cheese- You will want the cheese shredded to be sprinkled over the apples.
- All-purpose flour– All purpose flour is best to use, although self rising can be used in a pinch.
- Brown sugar– This will add richness to your bread recipe.
- Butter– You will want to use unsalted to control the amount of salt in a recipe.
- Maple extract– Use pure maple for the best flavoring.
- Active dry yeast– Make sure the yeast has not expired.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your bread.
- Water– This water will be heated and added into the butter and buttermilk.
- Buttermilk– You can use milk with vinegar in it as a substitute.
- Egg- Make sure your eggs are at room temperature.
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar is perfect for homemade frosting.
- Milk- You can use whole, 2% or ½&½
How to Make Moist Apple Bread Recipe
You want to gather your sugar, corn starch and cinnamon and combine together. Put in the apples and lemon, then toss your ingredients until your apples are coated.
In a bowl, add in your brown sugar, extract and butter and use a fork or pastry blender to cut in your ingredients until they are a crumbly texture. If the ingredients are not dry, add in more of the flour.
Make the Dough
Add together the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a standing mixer and combine.
Heat up the water, buttermilk and butter until it reaches 125 degrees. The slowly add to your dry ingredients.
Beat your mixture on medium speed until completely combined. Use a spatula to scrap excess of the side of the bowl.
Put in the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of flour, mix well.
Add in the rest of the flour until a soft dough is formed. Put on a floured counter top and knead for about 8 minutes.
Knead until soft and elastic, then cover and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Assemble the Bread
Cut the dough in half and spread out until its the size of a 12×14 rectangle, keep the edges as straight as your can.
Put the rectangles on a lined sheet.
Add 1/2 of the apple mixture in the middle in about a 3-inch line.
Add on 1/2 a cup of the cheese on top.
Then, 1/2 of the crumble on top.
Begin at the long end, slice about 3 inch and 1 inch wide down the pastry rectangle. Then repeat.
Alternate sides and fold the cuts across the middle of the pastry.
Repeat with the other half.
Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
Set your oven to 350 degrees.
Line sheets with parchment paper.
Mix the water and egg whites using a fork until well combined.
Brush the mixture on top of the bread.
For 25 minutes, bake in the over or until a golden brown.
Remove and place on cooling racks.
Make the Icing
Add the powdered sugar, milk, butter and extract in a bowl and whisk with a fork or a whisk until creamy.
Add the icing on top by drizzling across the braids.
What Apples are Best for Apple Braid Bread?
Apple bread needs the best apples for the best recipe. You can use a variety of apples that will work just fine if you don’t have access to the best ones. But, for this recipe the best apples you can use is either Granny Smith Apples or delicious Honey Crisp Apples. Make sure whatever apples you choose are baking apples. Other apples will not work well in this recipe because they will either become too mushy or will not soften enough.
Can I Make These Into Muffins Instead?
This Apple Bread is best only used the way its made here. This bread is not like banana bread. This bread had dough that is yeast-based, so it is more made for a bread recipe. And this recipe also has apple filling inside it as well.
More Delicious Apple Recipes
- Apple Blondies with Maple Glaze
- Baked Apple Pie Donuts
- Apple Pie Bourbon Flavored Popcorn Mix
- Apple Cider Donut Cake
- Caramel Apple Cider Bourbon Cocktail
Apple Braid Bread
- ⅓ c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon spice
- 3 cups apples peeled and diced granny smith or honey crisp work well
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 c flour plus extra for rolling out dough
- ⅓ c granulated sugar
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ c water
- ½ c buttermilk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 lg eggs
- 1 lg egg white beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk or ½&½
- 1 tbsp butter
- ⅛ tsp maple extract
- Combine granulated sugar, corn starch, cinnamon. Add in chopped apple and lemon juice. Toss until well-coated.
- Place flour, brown sugar, maple extract and butter in a bowl and cut in with a fork or pastry blender until it is a crumbly texture. If not dry enough to crumble, add in a bit more flour.
- Using a stand mixer, mix together 1 cup flour, granulated sugar, yeast powder and salt.
- Heat water, buttermilk and butter until warmed to about 125 degrees. Add gradually to flour mixture.
- Beat on medium speed until thoroughly combined, scraping bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs and 1½ cups flour, mixing until combined.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to achieve a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for approx. 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half to a 12x14 inch rectangle, trying to keep sides as straight as possible.
- Remove rectangles to the parchment lined baking sheets.
- Spoon ½ of apple mixture down center of rectangle in an approx. 3-inch strip.
- Sprinkle ½ of the cheddar cheese over the apples.
- Sprinkle ½ of the crumb filling over the apples and cheese.
- Starting at one long end of the dough, make knife cuts approx. 3-inch long and 1-inch wide down length of dough rectangle. Repeat for the other end.
- Alternating sides, fold strips across to center of dough.
- Repeat process for other half of dough.
- Cover braids and let rise for 1-hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, mix water into egg white till thoroughly combined.
- Brush egg white mixture across top of each bread.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approx. 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Combine powdered sugar, milk, butter and maple extract with a fork or whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle icing across the cooled braids.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.