Have you ever tried Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake? This easy chocolate cake recipe is decadent and delicious. This chocolate mayo cake is so moist and everyone always wants the recipe.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
I love simple cakes. The easier the better. But I don’t want it to taste like it was easy. I want it to taste decadent and amazing. This chocolate mayonnaise cake is a rich chocolate cake that is extremely easy to make and everyone is going to love how moist the cake is.
Important Ingredients You Will Need
- Flour – all-purposed.
- Sugar – you will be using brown sugar, granulated sugar and powdered sugar.
- Chocolate – bittersweet chocolate bar (or chips). Make sure you use a high quality chocolate.
- Sour Cream – this gives a nice flavor and moisture to the cake.
- Real Mayo – make sure to use real mayonnaise (not salad dressing).
- Eggs – you will be using 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk.
- Butter – we use unsalted, but salted butter if also okay to use in this recipe.
- Cream cheese – this makes the chocolate frosting extra special.
- Hershey special dark cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract – always use pure vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream – this will make the frosting extra creamy.
How to Make a Mayonnaise Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare the pans.
- Using a mixer, combine the cake ingredients and beat it well until it is smooth.
- Spread the cake between the 3 cake pans and bake the cakes for 30 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing the cake pans.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting.
- Frost the cake in layers and around the sides and top.
What Does the Mayonnaise Do in a Cake Recipe?
Mayonnaise is basically oil and eggs in one package. The mayo makes the cake tender and helps it to retain its moisture and the vinegar that is in the mayo helps to bring out the chocolate flavor.
What is the Best Frosting For Chocolate mayonnaise Cake?
With this cake, there is a decadent chocolate cream cheese frosting that goes amazing with this chocolate mayonnaise cake. This is a simple frosting and since there is no extra decorations to this cake, this is a simple and easy frosting to make.
Other Layered Cake Recipes You Will Love:
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup boiling dark coffee
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 – 8 oz cream cheese soften
- 1 1.2 Hershey special dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 7 cup powder sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease three 8 -inch cake pans
- Combine melted chocolate and cocoa in a bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave just until softened and stir it smooth – about 1 minute.
- Whisk in boiling coffee and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the sugar and the mayonnaise until blended. Add eggs one at a time. Add the extra egg yolk and vanilla.
- On low speed, add the dry ingredients alternating with the chocolate mixture until fully combined. Divide cake batter evenly among pans.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting.
- Using the standing mixer again, beat the cream cheese and butter until combined and smooth.
- Gradually mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Very slowly, beat in the powdered sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the icing is smooth and fluffy.
Directions to build the cake
- Place 1 layer of cake onto the cake board.
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop out 4-6 scoops of frosting and smooth evenly on one layer of cake.
- Place another layer of cake on top and spread more frosting.
- Place the last layer on top and frost the remaining cake with remaining frosting.