When you want the very best New York Extreme Chocolate Walnut Cake, this is the recipe you need. This cake is rich and moist and has the most amazing chocolate flavor. This cake has vanilla frosting between the layers and then topped with chocolate frosting and chocolate ganache. When you need to satisfy the chocolate craving, you need to make this chocolate fudge cake.
If you love 3 layer cakes, you will also love Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe
New York Extreme Chocolate Walnut Cake
When it comes to the most amazing chocolate cake, this New York Extreme Chocolate Fudge Cake is ideal. It has so much chocolate flavor, it is perfect for any chocoholic. This airy chocolate cake will remind you of the best dessert you have ever had.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Dark chocolate
- Unsalted butter
- Canola oil
- Pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cream cheese
- Hershey special cocoa powder
- Mini chocolate chips
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
How to Make a Chocolate Walnut Cake
Start with a preheated oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 3 round pans, 9 inches, with baking spray.
Whisk together the dry ingredients, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, together in a medium size bowl.
In a saucepan, you want to combine the water and the sugar until it starts to boil and the sugar is dissolved. This takes about a minute.
Remove the sugar water and stir in the chocolate and butter. Whisk it until it is melted.
Add the canola oil and vanilla.
Quickly add the eggs, whisking fast to prevent the eggs from cooking and becoming scrambled.
Slowly add the dry ingredients whisking it well until it is combined.
Fold in the chopped walnuts and then divide the batter between the 3 cake pans.
Bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes. The cake is done when the toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
Once the cake has cooled, make the vanilla frosting by beating together all the ingredients until it is smooth.
Remove the cakes from the pans and use a cake leveler to cut the domes off the pans.
Put a cake layer on the cake board and then add a cup of frosting on the cake. Smooth it evenly and then add the next layer of cake. Add the frosting and then add the last layer of cake.
Now make the chocolate frosting by beating the cream cheese and butter together until it is smooth.
Slowly add in the cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla.
Next, add the powder sugar slowly until it is well combined.
Add the whipping cream and beat the chocolate frosting until it is fluffy and has no lumps.
Combine the chocolate walnut topping ingredients and get the cake ready for decorating.
Scoop 1 cup of the chocolate frosting into a piping bag.
Using the rest of the frosting, frost the cake.
Using the chocolate walnut mixture, coat the bottom of the cake.
Now make the ganache by heating the whipping cream until it is steaming. Pour the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl and once the heavy cream is steaming, add it over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for about a minute and then mix it together until smooth.
Pour the chocolate ganache into the squeeze bottle and the drip the ganache over the edge of the cake and then cover the top spreading it evenly.
Using the piping bag with the frosting, pipe dollops along the top of the cake.
Sprinkle with some of the leftover chocolate walnut mixture.
Cut and enjoy.
What’s the Difference between Chocolate Cake and Extreme Chocolate Walnut Cake?
While a chocolate cake and a super chocolate walnut cake are similar, a chocolate walnut fudge cake is much richer. This is because a chocolate cake usually contains cocoa while a chocolate fudge cake has cocoa and chocolate. This adds to the flavor and creates a rich luscious cake.
What is the Best Chocolate for This Cake?
If you want the best contrast in flavors you will want to use dark chocolate. While any dark chocolate you like will do, a chocolate that is higher in a percentage of cacao is the best choice.
Other Chocolate Cake Recipes You Will Love:
New York Extreme Chocolate Walnut Cake
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 4 C flour
- 1/2 C cocoa
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 C water
- 4 C sugar
- 10 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 C Chopped walnuts
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 1 1/2 C unsalted butter softened
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4-6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate Frosting ingredients
- 1 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 1 - 8 oz cream cheese soften
- 1 1.2 Hershey special cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 7 C powder sugar
- 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
Chocolate walnut mix ingredients
- 2 C chopped walnuts
- 1 ½ C mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Cake Directions
- Preheat your oven to 350 and using pam baking spray, spray 3 9inch round cake pans
- Using a medium whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Using a medium saucepan over medium to high heat, combine the water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved. About 1 minute
- Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate and butter until melted
- Whisk in the canola oil and vanilla extract
- Quicky whisk in the eggs to avoid them cooking into the chocolate mixture.
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients until combined
- Fold in the chopped walnuts
- Divide the batter between the three round cake pans
- Bake cakes for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Vanilla Frosting Directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until combined and smooth
Building the cake directions
- Remove the cakes from the pans
- Cut the domes off the tops of the cakes
- Place the first cake layer down onto a cake board
- Scoop 1 C of the vanilla frosting onto the top of the cake layer and smooth evenly
- Place the second cake layer on top
- Scoop remaining vanilla frosting on top of the second layer and smooth evenly
- Place the third cake layer on top of the frosting
- Using the standing mixer again, beat the cream cheese and butter until combined and smooth
- Gradually mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt
- Very slowly, beat in the powder sugar until combined
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the ice cream is smooth and fluffy