When it comes to chocolate cake nothing tastes as good as this Hershey’s Chocolate Cake. With so much chocolate flavor, it seems impossible that you could taste anything but chocolate, but with this cake, there are so many layers of flavors, you are sure to enjoy every single bite.
If you can not get enough chocolate, you can also try this Chocolate Raspberry Fudge Pie. Just as rich, this fudge pie takes a different twist on chocolate.
Hershey’s Chocolate Cake
One bite of this easy chocolate blackout cake and you will have a new favorite cake. This cake is rich and moist and delicious and the best possible chocolate cake anyone could ask for. Based on the Blackout Cake that was made famous by a bakery in New York during WW2, this cake is a one of a kind masterpiece that is sure to make any chocoholic happy.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Special dark chocolate cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Sour cream
- Espresso powder
- Canola oil
- Pure vanilla extract
- Unsalted sweet cream butter
- Cream cheese
- Powder sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Mini chocolate chips
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy Whipping Cream
Do I Have to Add Coffee to This Blackout Cake?
The reason you want to add the espresso powder and warm water to this cake is that it brings the richness of the chocolate cake out. If you are concerned about a strong coffee taste to the cake, you won’t notice it. All of the best chocolate cake recipes use coffee. It gives the best flavor to the chocolate.
How to Make Hershey’s Chocolate Cake
Stat with a preheated oven and prepared 9 inch cake pan. Line the pans with parchment paper and baking spray.
In a small bowl, mix together the espresso powder and warm water.
Using a mixer, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Slowly add in eggs, sour cream buttermilk, espresso, oil, and vanilla.
Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 25-35 minutes. The cakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool for 20 minutes.
Next, make the frosting.
Put 1 cup of frosting in a piping bag for decorating.
Place a layer of cake onto the cake board
Scoop out 4-6 scoops of frosting and smooth it evenly cake.
Place the next layer of cake on top and spread more frosting
Place the last layer of cake on the top and frost the remaining cake with the remaining frosting.
Add a coat of mini chocolate chips on the side of the cake.
Using a saucepot, heat the heavy whipping cream until it is steaming.
While heavy whipping cream is heating up, place the chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl.
Then once the heavy whipping cream is heated to the point of steaming, pour over the chocolate chips.
Allow it to sit for 1 minute before whisking it smooth.
Pour ganache into the squeeze bottle.
Add dollops of ganache over the edge of the cake and then pipe dollops of frosting on the top of the cake.
Sprinkle some mini chocolate chips onto the frosting dollops.
Cut and serve and enjoy
Tips for Making This the Best Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever
Use Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder. This gives the best flavor. Since it is dark chocolate, it combines well with the other flavors and provides richer chocolate. There is plenty of sweetness to combat any bitterness from the darker chocolate.
Make sure to use buttermilk. If you do not have buttermilk, you can curdle regular milk by adding a tablespoon of vinegar. The acidity that buttermilks brings to this cake is a necessity for the best flavor possible. It also gives the cat additional fat which helps to keep to the cake moist.
Hershey's Chocolate Cake
- 3 C flour
- 3 C sugar
- 1 1/2 C special dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 1/2 C warm water
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 1 - 8 oz cream cheese soften
- 1 1.2 Hershey special dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 7 C powder sugar
- 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 C of mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray three 9 in cake pans with pam baking spray
- In a small bowl, whisk together the espresso and the warm water until combined
- Using your standing mixer, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined
- Gradually add in the eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, espresso, oil and vanilla extract until combined and
- Divide the batter between the 3 pans
- Place in the oven to bake for 25-35 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean
- Allow cakes to cool for 20 minutes
- Frosting Directions
- Using the standing mixer again, beat the cream cheese and butter until combined and smooth
- Gradually mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt
- Very slowly, beat in the powdered sugar until combined
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the ice cream is smooth and fluffy
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag
- Directions to build the cake
- Place 1 layer of cake onto the cake board
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop out 4-6 scoops of frosting and smooth evenly on one layer of cake
- Place another layer of cake on top and spread more frosting
- Place the last layer on top and frost the remaining cake with remaining frosting
- Coat the sides of the cake with the mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate ganache directions
- Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream until steaming
- While heavy whipping cream is heating up, place chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream is heated, pour over the chocolate chips
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Pour ganache into the squeeze bottle
- Pipe dollops of ganache over the edge of the cake
- Pipe dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake
- Sprinkle some mini chocolate chips onto the frosting dollops
- Cut and serve and enjoy