Lemon Orange Cake Recipe
When you are looking for a special cake recipe, you have to try this Lemon Orange Cake Recipe. This citrus flavored cake is not only delicious it is incredibly to make. One bite and you will have a new favorite cake.
Lemon Orange Cake Recipe
While most people think of sweet cakes in flavors like chocolate and vanilla, you will love the way this citrus cake comes together. The lemon flavored cake and the orange flavored frosting makes a truly spectacular cake. The presentation is absolutely stunning to look at, as well.
- Flour – Use all purpose flour or if you want to use wheat flour opt for white wheat flour
- Baking powder – If you are using self rising flour, you can eliminate the baking powder
- Kosher salt – Baked goods always need a small bit of salt. It helps to bring out the flavor.
- Unsalted sweet cream butter – While you always want to put a small amount of salt in baked goods, you always want to use unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugar – What is a baked good without sugar
- Eggs- When making cakes, you do not have to use room temperature eggs.
- Pure vanilla extract – Always use pure vanilla extract. It has a better taste than imitation.
- Buttermilk – The acidity in buttermilk helps to cut the fat and sweetness while helping the cake rise. If you do not have buttermilk, you can vinegar to milk and get a similar effect.
- Lemon zest- Lemon zest will add flavor to this cake
- Lemon juice – The lemon juice will help to add the lemon flavor to the cake.
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar is the base of frosting. If you want to make sure there are lumps in the frosting, sift the powdered sugar before adding to the bowl.
- Orange zest – This will help to add flavor to the frosting
- Orange juice- Mixed with the orange zest, this will create a delicious orange flavored frosting.
- Heavy whipping cream – Heavy cream works fantastic in the frosting.
- Lemons and oranges – These will be used to decorate the top of the cake.
How to Make Lemon Orange Cake
Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Beat together the butter and sugar
Next, add in the eggs and vanilla.
Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
Then, add the buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Place the batter into 3 prepared cake pans and bake, in a preheated oven, bake the cake for until they are done, about 21 minutes.
How to Make Lemon Frosting
To make the lemon frosting, mix together the ingredients until it forms stiff peaks.
Use a cake slicer to level the cakes.
Place one of the layers onto a serving plate.
Cover it with frosting and then place the next layer of cake on top. Frost the layer and then add the 3rd layer of cake. Frost the rest of the cake.
Smooth the frosting with a frosting leveler and remove some of the frosting to create a naked look.
Pipe larger dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake.
Then place the sliced orange along the bottom of the cake and sliced lemons in between the larger dollops
Cut and enjoy!
Can I Use Bottled Lemon Juice In this Cake?
You can use bottled lemon juice in this cake, but you still want to use fresh lemon zest and you will need to lemons for decoration.
What Icing is Best for a Citrus Cake?
When you make this cake, you want to make this orange flavored buttercream. I thas a great flavor and pairs perfectly with the cake. If you do not want to make homemade frosting, you can add the flavors to a premade store bought frosting.
Other Lemon Cake Recipes You Will Love
Orange Lemon Cake Recipe
- 1 large piping bag, fitted with a star tip
- 3 9inch round cake pans
- 6 C flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 C unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 3/4 C sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 C fresh lemon juice
Lemon Frosting ingredients:
- 3 C unsalted butter softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 3 tsp fresh orange juice
- 3-6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Lemons and oranges thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray the cake pans with pam baking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar together creamy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients just until combined.
- With the mixer still running on low, add the buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mix just until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for around 21-26 minutes or until the cakes are baked through.
Lemon Frosting Directions
- Using a standing mixer, cream together all ingredients until stiff and smooth peaks form
- Using a cake slicer, slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface.
- Place 1 cake layer on your serving plate.
- Evenly cover the top with about 1 cup of frosting.
- Top with 2nd cake layer and evenly cover the top with about 1 cup of frosting.
- Top with the third cake layer.
- Spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
- Using a frosting leveler, smooth frosting evenly and remove to create a naked look
- Pipe larger dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake
- Place the sliced orange along the bottom of the cake
- Place the sliced lemons in between the larger dollops
- Cut and enjoy!