This Lucky Charm Cake is a fun play on a St. Patrick’s Day dessert. This delicious white cake is filled and decorated with Lucky Charms cereal. Kids and adults alike will be amused with this magically delicious cake.
If you want another amazing St. Patrick’s Day dessert, you have to try St. Patrick’s Day Oreos.
Lucky Charms Cake Recipe
Lucky Charms is a fun way to bring some St. Patrick’s Day fun to a dessert. It goes hand in hand since the spokesperson of the cereal is a leprechaun. The cereal adds a fun twist to this 3 layer cake while adding a delicious crunch.
- White cake mix
- Canola oil
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sky Blue, Purple, Pink, Yellow Gel food coloring
- Lucky Charms
How to Make a Lucky Charms Cake
Start with a preheated 350 degree oven. Spray 3 cake pans with nonstick baking spray.
Using a mixer, combine the cake ingredients and then divide the cake batter between the pans.
Bake the cake for 28-32 minutes or until the cake is done. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once the cake is done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
After the cake has cooled, remove the cakes from pans and then using a cake leveler to cut off the domes.
Next, make the frosting using a mixer.
Beat together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until it has stiff peaks.
Add a 1/2 cup of frosting each to 4 bowls and then add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl.
Then start building the cake.
Add the first layer onto a cake board, and then add 1 cup of frosting to the cake and smooth it out evenly.
Sprinkle 3/4 cup of Lucky Charms on top of the frosting.
Place the next layer of cake on top and repeat.
Place the last layer of cake on top and then frost the cake with the remaining white frosting.
Add half of each colored icing to a separate piping page.
Use a knife to add dollops of colored frosting to the side of the cake.
Use the spatula to lightly spread the frosting. This will create a rainbow effect.
Add marshmallows randomly on the cake and then use the colored frosting to add dollops around the top of the cake.
Fill in the center of the cake with more cereal.
Do I Need to Refrigerate This Rainbow Cake Recipe?
Because this is a buttercream frosting, you do not need to refrigerate the cake. It is best to store the cake at room temperature. Be sure to make sure it is covered well. Use either a domed cake cover or cover the cake with plastic wrap.
Can I Buy Just the Marshmallows from Lucky Charms?
I like to use all of the cereal when I am making this cake, although I know that there are many people who like to only use the marshmallows. If you wanted a simpler way to get the marshmallows for this cake, you can buy just the Lucky Charm Marshmallows. The marshmallows can be bought online at Amazon. While you can buy them like this, I have found it is much cheaper, even if it is a little time consuming to separate the cereal.
Lucky Charms Cake Recipe
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 C water
- 1 C Canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the 3 cake pans with pam baking spray
- Combine all cake ingredients into a standing mixer or large mixing bowl and beat until combined
- Divide the batter between the 3 pans and bake in the oven for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before moving onto the cake board
- Using a cake leveler, remove the dome from the cakes to make even
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until combined, smooth and stiff with peaks
- Scoop 1/2 C of frosting into 4 bowls
- Mix in a few drops of a color into 1 bowl. Repeat steps for remaining colors
Building the cake directions
- Using 1 cake layer on the cake board, scoop 1 C of frosting onto the top of the cake and spread evenly
- Sprinkle ¾ C of lucky charm cereal all over the frosting layer
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the first layer of cereal frosting.
- Scoop another 1 C of frosting onto the second layer of cake and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle another ¾ C of lucky charms
- Place the last layer of cake on top
- Frost entire cake with the remaining white frosting
- Scoop ¼ C of each colored frosting into their own bags, set aside
- Using a knife, blot dollops of the colored frosting all over the side of the cake
- Take a flat spatula and lightly spread the colored frosting to create a rainbow effect
- Pick out the marshmallows from the cereal and place the randomly on the sides of the cake
- Using the colored frosting, pipe dollops of the frosting on top
- Fill the center of the cake with Lucky Charm cereal
- Cut and enjoy!