This Old Fashioned Buttermilk Cake recipe has a delicious flavor. This is one of the moistest cakes you can make. Rich and delicious, this buttermilk cake is topped with a homemade chocolate frosting.
If you love the way buttermilk combines in a cake, you will love this Cuppa Joe Chocolate Coffee Caramel Poke Cake
Old Fashioned Buttermilk Cake
This classic buttermilk cake is a delicious cake recipe. It is simple to make and has a fabulous taste. This moist cake is topped with a homemade chocolate frosting that has a hint of almond flavor. When this classic cake is topped the chocolate flavor, this cake becomes an amazing simple dessert that works for a weeknight dessert or when you have guests.
Ingredients You Will Need:
(full amounts in recipe box below)
- Unsalted butter
- Cake flour
- Baking powder
- Whole buttermilk
- Pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pure almond extract
How to Make Buttermilk Cake
Start with a preheated 350 degree oven and prepare the baking pan with baking spray.
Beat together the butter and sugar, using a mixer, until it is cream.
Add one egg at a time until it is combined well.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
While the mixer is on low, slowly add the dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating.
Once the ingredients are mixed together well, add the vanilla.
Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 26-28 minutes. The cake is done when a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting
Using the mixer, beat the frosting ingredients together until it is smooth.
Spread over the cooled cake before serving.
Does Buttermilk Make a Cake Moist?
When you add buttermilk it creates a very moist cake. It also gives an amazing flavor. The acid in the buttermilk tenderizes the gluten in the flour.
What Can I Substitute for Buttermilk?
If you do not have buttermilk on hand and do not want to buy it, you can make something similar. If you need one cup of buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the measuring cup and then fill the rest with milk. Let it sit for a few minutes until the milk starts to sour.
Old Fashioned Buttermilk Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking pan with pam baking spray
- Using a standing mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy
- Beat in eggs one at a time until creamy and combined
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt
- Using a liquid measuring cup, measure out buttermilk
- With the mixer on low, begin adding the dry ingredients to the batter, and alternate pouring in the buttermilk gradually
- When all ingredients have been mixed, add the vanilla and mix until completely combined
- Pour batter into the baking pan and evenly smooth with a spatula.
- Bake for 26-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean
For the frosting:
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, powder sugar, cocoa, buttermilk, almond and vanilla until combined and smooth
- Spread evenly over the cake
- Cut and serve!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.