Pesto Pizza with sausage and kale is a delicious homemade pizza recipe. You can make this for lunch, dinner or make a couple as a great appetizer at a party!
I love pizza, don’t you? If I had to pick one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would most certainly be pizza. The great thing, is that if you did have to eat it for the rest of your life, there are lots of really creative ways to make it. Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole, Pizza Pasta Bake and Pepperoni Pizza Dip are just a few.
So many times I’ve had pesto on a sandwich and really liked it, but I hadn’t put it on pizza yet. Have you? It’s so good! Here is how to do it.
- Pizza Crust – Find my best homemade pizza dough recipe here.
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Red Pepper
Pesto Pizza Recipe
Start by browning your sausage. Once that is cooked, take it out of the pan but don’t drain the grease; use that to cook your onion.
Then, use a food processor (or a blender) to make your pesto with kale, basil, parmesan, oil, salt and garlic.
Next, grab the skillet that you will make the pizza in. Make sure it’s one that can go into the oven. Coat the pan with oil and cornmeal so the crust doesn’t stick.
Place the dough into the skillet, stretching it over the sides and bake it for just a few minutes until the dough begins to bubble.
Add the pesto, sausage, onions, pepper and cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes and enjoy.
If you like extra spice you can add some jalapenos and banana peppers to this. However, if you need a pizza without all the kick, go ahead and omit the red pepper flakes.
Vegetarian? Make it without the sausage. It’s still really delicious that way!
Enjoy and make sure to go pin this recipe on Pinterest for later.
Sausage and Kale Pesto Pizza
- 1 pizza crust whole-wheat
- 1 lb sausage
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup kale
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink
- Meanwhile, cut the onion into thin slices
- Remove the sausage from the pan and place on a towel-lined plate
- Without cleaning the pan, add two tablespoons of oil, the sliced onions, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Cook the onions for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until brown and softened then remove from the heat
- In a food processor, combine the kale, basil, parmesan, garlic, 2 tablespoons of oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt until smooth
- Heat an oven-safe 12-inch skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and cornmeal and swirl to coat the pan
- Stretch the pizza dough over the pan to cover the bottom and sides of the pan
- Cook the dough over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until the dough starts to bubble
- Quickly spread the pesto on the dough, then top with the cooked sausage, onions, mozzarella cheese, and crushed red pepper
- Brush any exposed crust edges with oil
- Place the entire skillet in the oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has melted
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.