We all want a chewy, pumpkin flavored dessert just in time for fall. These wonderful Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies are calling your name. These delicious Fall cookies have a cheesecake filling and are perfect for any occasion. Your friends and family will love to take a bite of this tasty cookie recipe!
Easy Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
These amazing Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies are delicious. This recipe has a delicious cream cheese filling in the middle for that perfect texture and flavor combo of pumpkin and filling. This is a quick and easy recipe that only takes 15 minutes to make, so you will have a great cookie recipe in no time to share with your loved ones.
These pumpkin thumbprint cookies will be perfect as party of a cookie tray for a Thanksgiving. Pair them with Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies, Apple Snickerdoodle Cookies and Zucchini Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting.
What You’ll Need
These pumpkin thumbprint cookies are made with just a handful of ingredients and pantry staples. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- Flour- You will want to use All-purpose flour for the best results.
- Pumpkin pie spice- This will give your cookies that pumpkin flavor.
- Baking soda– This will help your cookies rise in the oven.
- Salt– The salt will bring out the flavors in the cookies.
- Baking powder- This will help your ingredients double in size.
- Butter- You will need to use unsalted to control the amount of salt in a recipe.
- Light brown sugar- This sugar will add moisture to your cookies.
- Sugar- Every great dessert has sugar in it.
- Egg- You need to use eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Pumpkin puree– You will need to use puree and not the pie filling. My homemade pumpkin puree is perfect for this recipe.
- Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
What Candies Can Go in the Thumbprint?
There are many different candies you can use for different recipes. However, for this Pumpkin Thumbprint cookie, you will want candies to compliment the pumpkin flavor. You can add candies like toffee, caramel, or chocolate.
How to Make Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
This pumpkin thumbprint cookie recipe comes together with just a few minutes prep.
- Make the cookie dough. Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg and vanilla. Add in the pumpkin then pour in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Bake. Scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Use a tablespoon to make an indent in the center of the cookies then bake for an additional 7 minutes. If needed, use a tablespoon to press down the centers again. Allow the cookies to cool thoroughly.
- Make the filling. Beat together the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Fill the cookies. Pipe the frosting into the center of the cooled cookies. Finish with a sprinkle of pumpkin spice and enjoy.
Store your pumpkin thumbprint cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. For best results, store them in a single layer or place parchment paper between layers so the filling doesn’t stick to other cookies.
More Cookie Recipes
- Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- Best Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Snowball Cookies
- Apricot Walnut Thumbprint Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Cookies
Pumpkin Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line two baking sheets with parchment
- Using a medium bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt, and baking powder until combined.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Beat in pumpkin.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and beat until combined
- Using a mini ice cream scooper, scoop some dough onto the cookie tray
- Bake for 8 minutes
- Using a tablespoon make a indent into the cookies
- Place back into the oven for 7 more minutes or until golden brown
- If the indents puffed up, use the tablespoon and press the indent back down
- Allow the cookies to cool completely
- Using a medium bowl, beat butter with cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until combined and smooth
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag and pipe into cooled cookies.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin spice on top