This Rum Cake is a fun take on a delicious classic dessert. From a yellow boxed cake mix, pudding and Bacardi Rum comes a bundt cake you will make over and over again.
This is my Grandmother’s original recipe way back from 1970’s but with a couple new additions. For starters, we’ve switched up the nuts for pretzels bits. Plus, we added a caramel glaze on top that really adds some yummy flavor.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Vanilla Instant Pudding
- Bacardi Rum
- Vegetable Oil
- Heavy Cream
Does Rum Cake Have Alcohol?
Yes, it does. Only half a cup, but there is definitely alcohol in the batter.
What Is A Bundt Cake?
A bundt cake doesn’t mean a particular recipe, but the type of pan you’re using: A bundt pan! It makes the fun donut shape.
Bacardi Rum Cake Recipe
To start this cake, grease and flour your bundt pan. Crush your pretzel sticks and lay them at the bottom of the pan.
Mix the 1.5 boxes of the cake mix with the vanilla pudding.
Fun side story: When the original recipe was written, cake mixes were normally 22 ounces or more. Now, they’re only about 15 ounces, that’s why you need to use 1.5 boxes to get the recipe ingredients correct.
Next mix in the rum, oil, heavy cream and eggs, and mix on low until all ingredients are well blended. Then crank it up to high and mix for another couple of minutes.
Pour the batter over the pretzels and bake for 45-60 minutes.
Caramel Glaze Ingredients:
- Brown Sugar
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Shredded Coconut
Melt the brown sugar and butter together over low heat. Then add in the heavy cream and vanilla and bring it to a boil. When it starts to thicken add the powdered sugar and coconut.
If the icing seems too thin you can add a little more powdered sugar until you get the consistency you want.
Let it cool slightly then pour it over your bundt cake!
- 2 yellow cake mixes , see instructions
- 3.5 ounce package Vanilla instant pudding
- 1/2 cup Bacardi Rum
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup crushed or broken Pretzel sticks , these go in the pan not the cake – see instructions
Caramel Icing Ingredients:
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar , plus more if needed
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
How To Grease and Flour a Large Bundt Pan:
- Use Crisco, or butter flavored Crisco to grease the pan.
- Flour the pan after greasing with Crisco.
- If there are any spots missed, go back over them with the Crisco, and flour again until the inside of the pan is covered.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Crush or break pretzel sticks into small pieces, and sprinkle them in the bottom of the Bundt pan.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, place 1-1/2 of the boxes of cake mixes along with the Vanilla pudding, and blend together.
- Add rum, oil, heavy cream, and eggs, and mix on low until all ingredients are well blended.
- Turn mixer on high, and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cake batter into the Bundt pan, on top of the crushed Pretzels, and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the cake for 45-60 minutes until the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake to a wire rack and allow to sit in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place a cake plate over the top of the Bundt pan and holding the pan with oven mitts, by the handles, flip the Bundt pan, turning the cake out onto the cake plate.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add brown sugar.
- When melted, add the heavy cream and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for 4-6 minutes or until the icing starts to thicken.
- Add the powdered sugar and coconut and stir.
- If the icing seems too thin add a little more powdered sugar until you get the consistency you want.
- Remove from heat, let frosting cool slightly and frost cake immediately with icing.
- When icing sets, serve and enjoy!