Peanut butter and chocolate make the perfect combination. This decadent Tagalong Cake Recipe is the very best you can make. Based on the flavors of one of America’s favorites Girl Scout Cookies, this is a cake that is sure to become one of your favorites.
Tagalong Cake Recipe
When it comes to Girl Scout Cookies, I am hooked. I love them all. I do have my favorites, but I can not turn down any of these cookies. I love making different desserts with the cookies and then it takes these cookies to a whole new level.
- Milk chocolate cake mix – Using a store bought cake mix saves time. If you want to make your favorite chocolate cake recipe, you can use that instead. Make sure it is enough to fill 3 cake pans.
- Whole milk – This is one of the basic ingredients in cake recipes
- Unsalted sweet cream butter – I always recommend unsalted butter, even in a recipe that requires salt. By using unsalted butter you can control the amount of salt in a recipe.
- Eggs – In some recipes, you need room temperature eggs. In this recipe, it doesn’t matter if the eggs are room temperature or still cold.
- Powder sugar – Powdered sugar is used in most frosting recipes. If you want to prevent lumps in the frosting, sift the powdered sugar before beating it in.
- Heavy whipping cream- The heavy whipping cream is used to thin the frosting to the right consistency.
- Peanut butter – Peanut butter is the base of this frosting. The chocolate cake combined with peanut butter makes this an amazing Tagalong cake recipe.
- Vanilla- Always use real vanilla extract instead of imitation for a better flavor.
- Tagalong Cookies – If you can not find Tagalong cookies, Walmart and Aldis have copycat versions of Tagalongs.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips- You can use semi sweet or milk chocolate chips for the ganache.
How to Make a Tagalong Cake
Make the cake by combining all of the cake mix ingredients into a bowl and beat it well until it is combined.
Bake the cake in 3 prepared cake pans in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool while you make the peanut butter frosting.
Make the Peanut Butter Frosting
Using a mixer, combine all of the frosting ingredients together until it is smooth, creamy and forming stiff peaks.
Build the Cake
Remove the domes from each cake layer and then place the first layer onto a serving plate.
Add 1 cup of frosting and smooth it evenly and then add the next layer. Add more frosting and smooth it and then add the 3rd layer.
Once the last layer is added, frost the entire cake.
Scoop the rest of the frosting into a piping bag and make the chocolate ganache.
How to Make Chocolate Ganache
Add the heavy cream into a pot on the stove and heat it until it is starting to steam.
Add the chocolate chips into bowl and then pour the steaming cream over top.
Let it sit for one minute and then mix it until it is smooth. Pour the ganache into a squeeze bottle.
How to Decorate the Cake
Add drips of chocolate ganache around the edges of the cake and then pipe the frosting in dollops around the cake.
Place a cookie on each dollop.
Place the cake in the refrigerator for the cake to harden.
Does This Use Pound Cake?
While I have seen some great looking Tagalong cakes that use pound cake, I wanted mine to be made with a moist chocolate cake. This chocolate cake and the peanut butter frosting pairs together perfectly.
What Peanut Butter is Best for Tagalong Cake?
The best part of this Tagalong cake is that you can use any kind of peanut butter you like in the frosting. Usually, I will use anything that I have on hand but any kind of peanut butter works great.
More Girl Scout Dessert Recipes
Tagalong Cake Recipe
- 2 boxes milk chocolate cake mix
- 2 1/2 C whole milk
- 2 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 6 large eggs
Peanut Butter Frosting Ingredients:
- 2 C unsalted sweet cream butter
- 3 C powder sugar
- 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 box Tagalong Cookies for topping
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray three 9 inch round cake pans with pam baking spray, set aside
- Using a hand mixer and a large mixing bowl, beat all cake ingredients together until fully combined.
- Divide batter between the two baking pans and bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center
- Allow to cool completely on the counter.
- Once cooled, remove cakes from cake pan and cut the domes off
- Using a standing mixer, combine the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, peanut butter and vanilla and mix on medium speed until smooth and creamy
Build cake directions:
- Place the first cake layer onto a serving plate
- Scoop 1 C of frosting onto the first layer and smooth out evenly
- Place the second layer of cake onto the first layer of frosting
- Place another scoop of frosting onto the second layer of cake and smooth evenly
- Repeat steps with remaining cake layers
- Once all layers have been frosted, frost entire cake
- Scoop remaining frosting into a piping bag and set aside
Chocolate ganache directions
- Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream until steaming
- While heavy whipping cream is heating up, place chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream is heated, pour over the chocolate chips
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Pour ganache into the squeeze bottle
- Using the squeeze bottle, to create a drizzle effect around the top of the cake, squeeze some ganache over the side allow the chocolate ganache to drip down
- Pipe dollops of frosting around the top of the cake
- Place a Tagalong cookie onto the top of the frosting dollops
- Place the cake in the fridge to harden
- Cut into slices and grab a large glass of milk!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.