If you absolutely love Thin Min Girl Scout Cookies, you are going to want to make this Thin Mint Cake. This cake is a moist chocolate cake that has an amazing homemade mint frosting with crushed Thin Mint Cookies. The cake is topped off with more cookies and chocolate ganache. You have to try this fabulous cake.
Thin Mint Cake Recipe
Are you one of those people who wait all year for Girl Scout Cookie season? Me too. I love Thin Mints. These might be one of my favorites cookies. So I love using them in new ways. This cake brings together of my favorite things: Cake and Thin Mint Cookies.
Get the Recipe Down Below
- Whole milk
- Canola oil
- Triple chocolate cake mix – Using cake mix helps to save time with this recipe. You can always use your favorite chocolate cake recipe.
- Unsalted sweet cream butter – Always use unsalted butter when baking. It lets you have control over how much salt is in your recipe.
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract – Be sure to use real vanilla extract for the best taste.
- Thin mint cookies – Thin Mint Cookies are used as part of decorating the cake and it is included in the frosting.
- Pale green gel food coloring
- Heavy whipping cream – Heavy cream and chocolate chips are the 2 simple ingredients in the ganache.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
How to Make a Chocolate Mint Layer Cake
Preheat the oven and prepare the cake pans.
Use a mixer to combine the cake mix ingredients.
Divide the batter between the 3 cake pans and bake for 25-35 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool completely before taking the cake out of the pans.
Use a cake leveler to remove the domes from the cake, then place one of the cake layers on the cake board.=sing a cake slicer, remove the domes from the cakes
Thin Mint Frosting
Use a mixer to beat together the frosting until it forms stiff peaks. This takes about 5-7 minutes.
Place the first cake layer on the cake board and then place 1 cup of frosting on the cake and smooth it out.
Place the 2nd layer of cake on top.
Repeat with the frosting and then add the next layer.
Scoop 1 1/2 cups of frosting into a bowl and then frost the rest of the cake.
Coat the bottom of the cake in the Thin Mint crushed cookies.
How To Make the Chocolate Ganache
Using a small pot, add the heavy cream and heat it until it is simmering.
Place the chocolate chips in a bowl and add the heated heavy cream.
Let it sit for 1 minute and then whisk it together well until it is smooth.
Gradually pour the chocolate ganache into drizzles over the top of the cake
Allow the ganache to harden and then pipe dollops of frosting ontop the top of the cake.
Place a cookie next to the dollops.
Cut into slices and enjoy.
Should I Use Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate With Mint?
The cake mix I like to use is a milk chocolate cake. If you prefer to use dark chocolate with mint, you can certainly use a dark chocolate cake recipe. Both will taste fantastic with the mint.
How Do You Freeze a Layer Cake?
If you want to freeze the layer cake, you want to slice the cake first. I do this so I can take a slice of cake out at a time. I like to freeze the slices of cake on a plate first. This keeps the plastic from sticking to the plastic when it is wrapped. Once the frosting is frozen, wrap the cake well in plastic wrap.
More Layer Cake Recipes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Layer Cake
- Layered Cherry Coke Cake
- Bailey’s Irish Cream Layer Cake
- Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe
- Patriotic Layered Cake
Thin Mint Cake Recipe
- 2 1/2 C whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 C canola oil
- 2 boxes triple chocolate cake mix
Thin mint frosting
- 2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 C ground thin mint cookies
- A few whole thin mint cookies for decorations
- Preheat oven to 350 degree's and spray all 3 cake pan with pam baking spray and set aside
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until combined
- Divide the batter between the three baking pans
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing from cake pans
- Place the cakes onto a cutting board
- Using a cake slicer, remove the domes from the cakes
- Place one layer of cake onto the cake board
Thin Mint Frosting directions:
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients together of the frosting until stiff peaks form. About 5-7 minutes
- Scoop about 1 C of the frosting onto the first layer of cake
- Place the second layer of cake on top
- Scoop about 1 1/2 C of frosting into another bowl and set aside
- Using remaining frosting, frost entire cake
- Coat the bottom of the cake in the thin mint crushed cookies
- In a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream until simmering
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream is steaming, pour the heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for a minute
- Whisk until smooth
- Gradually pour the chocolate ganache into drizzles over the top of the cake
- Allow the ganache to harden
- Pipe dollops onto the top of the cake
- Place a thin mint cookie next to the dollops
- Cut into slices and enjoy
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 3 9 inch round cake pans
- 3 sheets of parchment paper
- 1 10 inch round cake board
- 1 squeeze bottle