This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy
My boys were not too happy yesterday when I told them we were having stuffed peppers for dinner so we turned them into Turkey stuffed Turkey Peppers to make them fun! It worked and they loved them! My grocery store Kroger had a big bag of different colored peppers for $3.99 so we used 7 peppers from that bag to make 4 of these (with left overs for another use). This is such a fun dinner to make the kids during the Thanksgiving holiday and a great way to get them to try peppers!
Turkey Stuffed Turkey Peppers
(adapted from Pillsbury…go to their site to print)
4 Green Bell Peppers
1 of each…Yellow, Orange, & Red Bell Pepper
1 Package of Microwaveable Brown or Spanish Rice
1 lb. Ground Turkey
1 8 oz. Can Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce
1/4 tsp. Ground Pepper
1 Bag 8oz. Shredded Italian Cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. Reserve tops. If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of peppers so they stand up straight.
- Cook rice in microwave as directed on package. Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, cook turkey over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce, the ground pepper and cooked rice. Stir in half of cheese
- Stuff peppers with turkey mixture. Pour remaining tomato sauce in ungreased 11×7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish. Stand peppers upright in dish. .
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake about 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender.
- Make the turkey details from the other peppers while baking. You can cut the yellow, orange, & red bell peppers into strips for the feathers and bake with the stuffed peppers..or just leave them raw.
- We cut around the bell pepper tops using kitchen scissors to make the turkey heads. We cut pieces of yellow pepper to make the beak and feet. We cut a couple of pieces from the red pepper to make the wattles. We cut pieces from the inside of the peppers to make the eyes. Use tooth picks to attach the head. After baking…push the different colored pepper strips in the back.