Easy Valentine Unicorn Cake
Valentine Unicorn Cake is the sweetest dessert to share with your kids on Valentine’s Day. It’s a triple layered, moist vanilla cake with homemade vanilla frosting on top.
For Valentine’s Day this year we’re making a few delicious favorites like crinkle cookies with chocolate hearts on top and cookie dough hearts. So good! But first, let me tell you about this unicorn cake.
Valentine Unicorn Cake
This isn’t just perfect for Valentine’s Day, but also birthdays! If you have a kiddo that want a unicorn cake but isn’t into the usual pink and purple color scheme this would work perfect.
- Cake Mix
- Whipping Cream
- Canola Oil
- Food Coloring
How To Make A Unicorn Cake
First, mix all your cake ingredients together except the food coloring.
Then, split the batter into two seperate bowls. Color one pink and one red.
To make the tye dye effect, instead of pouring the batter into the pans, scoop out 1/4 cup into them, alternating colors. Bake them for roughly 30 minutes.
Mix together your ingredients except the food coloring, just like we did with the cake.
Seperate it into three different bowls and color two of them so you’ve got a white, a red and a pink. Put each into a piping bag at the same time so when it comes out is is swirled.
Pipe around the top, in front to a point, and the sides to create the unicorn mane. This does not have to be perfect!
Unicorn Ears and Horn
There are some intricate ways to make your own fondant decorations for this cake like we did with our Unicorn cupcakes. But for this one, we decided to use this awesome kit we found on Amazon. It also comes with the eye lashes and the whole thing is just $6.99
Slice your cake and enjoy!!
Valentine Unicorn Cake
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 8 large Egg whites
- 2 ½ C water
- 1 C canola oil
- Red and pink gel food coloring
- 3 - 9 inch round cake pans
- 1 - 10 inch round cake board
- 3 C unsalted butter softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Red and Pink gel food coloring
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- Unicorn Horns and Ears and Eyes kit
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray cake pans with baking spray
- Using a hand mixer and large bowl, beat all cake ingredients until combined and smooth
- Divide the cake batter into two bowls
- Mix in a few drops of red food coloring into one bowl
- Min in a few drops of pink food coloring into the second bowl
- Alternate the batters by scooping in ¼ C of colored batter into each
- cake pan on top of each other to create a tye dye effect
- Place into the oven and back for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients except for the colors
- until combined and smooth but stiff with peaks
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into each of the two medium bowls
- Mix in a few drops of pink gel food coloring into one of the bowls with the 1 C of frosting
- Min in a few drops of red gel food coloring into the second bowl with the 1 C of frosting
Building the cake directions :
- Place one cake layer onto the cake board and cut the dome off the cake to make an even layer
- Repeat step with other two layers
- Scoop 1 C of white frosting into 1 side of the large piping bag
- Scoop the red and pink frosting into the large piping bag and set aside
- Scoop 1 C of white frosting onto the bottom layer and spread evenly
- Place the second cake layer on top and spread evenly 1 more cup of frosting
- Place the last layer of cake on top
- Use the remaining white frosting and frost entire cake
- Using the piping bag, start piping the “Hair” for the unicorn on the
- top and around one side of the cake to create a “Mane”
- Place the horn, ears and eyes onto the cake
- Place into the fridge to harden the frosting before enjoying!