Dill Pickle Soup
A traditional Eastern European favorite, this hearty Dill Pickle Soup has a rich potato base studded with the tangy crunch of cucumber. Creamy, filling and packed with flavor, it's a tried and tested classic that any pickle fan will love.
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 carrots diced
- 1 cup diced dill pickles
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups dill pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, and butter. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Add the diced pickles and allow the soup to continue to simmer over medium heat.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sour cream and water, to make a paste. Vigorously whisk the sour cream mixture into soup, a spoonful at a time. You may see small bits of flour clumps in the soup, but they will break down as the soup continues to cook.
Add the pickle juice, Old Bay, salt (taste the soup first to see if it needs any salt after the addition of the pickle juice), black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Simmer the soup for 5 more minutes, then remove from the heat and serve hot.
- To Store: Keep any leftover soup in an airtight food storage container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat: Reheat soup in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, checking the temperature in between, or over the stove until it starts to bubble.
- To Freeze: To prevent curdling, freeze before adding the flour, pickle juice and sour cream for up to 3 months. To finish, allow soup to thaw fully and then heat on the stove. Add flour, pickle juice and sour cream just as you would when making it fresh.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 1815mg | Potassium: 676mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5700IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 2mg