Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
This Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce is the perfect addition to your favorite dishes! This delectable sauce is made with a blend of sweet and sour flavors, and is perfect for dipping, cooking, or as a condiment. With its unique flavor, it is sure to become a family favorite!
Servings: 16 servings
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple about ¾ cup, no need to drain juice
- ¼ cup maraschino cherries with a splash of cherry juice, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons grape jelly
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese 5 spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red food coloring optional
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
In a blender, add the crushed pineapple, maraschino cherries with the splash of juice, grape jelly, hoisin sauce, chinese 5 spice powder, salt, and red food coloring. Blend until well combined.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and apple cider vinegar and cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring often.
Add the blender mixture into the saucepan with the vinegar and simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cornstarch and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved (this will help thicken the sauce). Let simmer for another 2-3 more minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Sauce will thicken more as it cools.