Loaded with fresh fruit, this four-layer Hummingbird Cake is stacked with a smooth and tangy cream cheese frosting that pairs perfectly with the fruity flavors of the cake. The moist and tender crumb features crunchy toasted pecans and a sweetly tart flavor from the banana and pineapple baked into the batter.
For the Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 oz crushed pineapple, undrained 1 can
- 2 cups bananas mashed (2-3 bananas)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
For the Frosting
- 32 oz cream cheese (room temp) 4 blocks
- 4-6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- whole pecans for decorating
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
Cream together the eggs, oil, pineapple, mashed bananas, vanilla, and chopped pecans in another bowl. Add the creamed mixture into the dry mixture just until combined. Evenly divide the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Take one of the two cooled cakes and set it on a cutting board, along with a long piece of unwaxed, unflavored dental floss. Wrap the dental floss around the middle of the cake, then cross the two ends and pull. Insert a spatula between the two layers to separate.
As the cake cools, begin mixing the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl or mixer. Gradually add in the confectioners sugar. Mix until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
Transfer the first tier onto a cake platter and apply a layer of frosting. Repeat this process until all four layers are stacked. Use remaining frosting to cover the top and sides of your cake.
Decorate with the whole pecans.
- To Store: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge up to 6 days. Let come to room temp before serving.
- To Freeze: Freeze unwrapped for 4 hours, or until solid, then wrap well in a layer of plastic followed by a layer of foil. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter.
Calories: 936kcal | Carbohydrates: 112g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Cholesterol: 176mg | Sodium: 557mg | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 82g | Vitamin A: 1595IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 2.6mg