Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are the softest and most chewy cookie recipe ever. It takes just four ingredients and ten minutes in the oven and you’ve got a delicious moist cookie perfect for milk dunking.
I just love making cookies from cake mixes. Not only are they super easy, but they taste amazing every single time and are incredibly soft no matter what. If you haven’t made cake mix cookies yet, this recipe is the perfect one to start with.
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
These are soft and chewy in the center and coated with sugar on the outside. Using a cake mix in this way is what makes the perfect crinkle cookie. Grab your ingredients and a big glass of milk, and let’s bake.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Chocolate Cake Mix. This can be any kind of boxed mix you’d like to use as long as it’s 15-16 ounces. We’ve made them with both Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker mixes.
- Vegetable Oil. Just like it calls for on the back of the box.
- Eggs. The size of your eggs doesn’t really matter here.
- Vanilla. Try to always get real vanilla and not imitation – it tastes much better.
- Sugar. (optional) This is for coating the outside of the cookie.
How To Make Cookies Out of Chocolate Cake Mix
- Mix. Combine all of your ingredients except the coating sugar, and mix it up.
- Chill. This is the most important step of all: chill your dough in the fridge for 45 minutes. Set a timer to make sure you don’t let them set any longer or the cookies get pretty crunchy.
- Roll. Scoop the cookies out into a ball with a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, roll them in your hands and coat them in sugar.
- Bake. Cook for about 9 minutes and let them set for 5 to continue cooking before trying to remove from the pan.
Quick tip: Make sure to not over bake these cookies, they will look puffy and slightly underdone when you take them out of the oven, but that is OK because they will finish cooking on the baking sheet.
How To Store Cake Mix Cookies
These will be good for up to 1 week when stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you want to freeze them for later, they’ll last for up to 3 months in a freezer tight bag.
My favorite way to enjoy this sweet treat is when they’ve fresh out of the oven and have cooled some. Who doesn’t love a freshly baked, warm cookie with a cold glass of milk?
More Cookie Recipes To Try Next
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar optional
- Add the cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until combined. The dough will be glassy and almost look like bread dough.
- Chill the dough for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portion out the dough and roll between your palms to make a ball. Roll the ball in the sugar to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Do not over bake these cookies, they will look puffy and slightly underdone, but they will finish cooking on the baking sheet after coming out of the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.