These homemade Carrot Cake Cupcakes are perfectly moist and fluffy. Made with carrots, pecans, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, then topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting. Perfect for Spring, Easter, Mother’s Day, or really any occasion!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes are the most delicious way to get that daily serving of vegetables. These have the perfect texture and so flavorful with all sorts of heavenly spices. You only need a simple list of ingredients and you can use my easy-to-make 4-ingredient frosting. This will become your go-to Carrot Cake Cupcake recipe.
I love making these during springtime and they are always such a huge hit! You can also double or triple this recipe depending on how big your crowd is. You can also make this recipe into a cake or mini cupcakes.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe is very easy. Everything goes into one bowl and you stir it together. It calls for common spices and pantry staples most people have on hand.
- Flour: You will need all-purpose flour along with baking soda and baking powder to allow the cupcakes to rise properly in the oven.
- Sugar: You will need granulated and light brown sugar to make these rich and sweet.
- Spices: You will need ground ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Carrots: It’s best to peel and shred your own carrots. You can also add chopped pecans.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: You can use my simple 4-ingredient recipe for these tasty Easter carrot cupcakes.
How To Make Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Prepare the batter. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use cupcake liners to line a 12-count muffin tin. Add the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl of a standing mixer and combine using a whisk. One at a time, add the eggs and oil into the bowl and combine. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Pour in the vanilla and milk and combine again. Put in the shredded carrots and pecans and combine once more.
- Bake the cupcakes. Pour the prepared batter into the liners about 3/4 of the way full. Set in the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick tester comes out clean of batter. Let them cool thoroughly before adding the frosting.
The Best Frosting for Carrot Cake
- Make the frosting. Add the butter and cream cheese into a large bowl and combine until smooth with no lumps. Put in the vanilla and combine again. Slowly pour in the powdered sugar and combine. Place into a piping bag and add to the tops of the cooled cupcakes or use a butter knife to add on top. Serve and enjoy!
How To Decorate Carrot Cake Cupcakes?
You can decorate this dessert in so many different ways! You can add a mound of the frosting on top, then use some of the options below for some cute ways to decorate these carrot cupcakes.
- Easter or pastel sprinkles
- Chocolate carrot molds or bunny molds.
- Add food coloring to the cream cheese frosting for a pop of color.
- Add more crushed pecans or nuts on top.
Can You Freeze Cupcakes?
Yes! These can be placed in the freezer as long as they are stored properly. You will need to place the leftovers in an airtight container unfrosted for the best storage method. These can be stored for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can You Make Carrot Cake Cupcakes Ahead Of Time?
Yes! You can make these cupcakes a day ahead of time. You will need to wait to add the frosting until you are ready to serve them. Keep them stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tips & Tricks
- You can leave out the nuts or only add half the amount.
- Shred your own carrots and do not buy pre-shredded carrots because they tend to be dry and tough.
- Only fill the cupcake about 3/4 of the way because they will rise in the oven.
- You can use a hand mixer instead of a standing mixer.
- If the frosting is too thick, add some milk for a thinner consistency.
- I use Wilton’s tip 1M to frost the cupcakes.
More Carrot Cake Recipes
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups flour all-purpose
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 ½ cups carrots peels and shredded
- 1 cup pecans chopped
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners. In a large bowl of a stand mixer bowl, add flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Using a whisk, whisk together until combined well. Using your stand mixer, stir in vegetable oil, and eggs (one at a time). Scrape down the sides of the bowl often. Stir until well combined. Add in vanilla extract and milk. Mix well until combined. Add carrots and pecans until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners until ⅔-¾ of the way full. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before icing with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and cream cheese and mix until creamy. Make sure the mixture is well combined and has no lumps. Add vanilla extract and mix well. Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until well combined. You can use a piping bag or butter knife to frost cupcakes.