This dish is a complete hibachi chicken dinner at home! Sautéed vegetables, fried rice, and extremely tender chicken are served with a spicy mustard dipping sauce that transports you to the Japanese steakhouse!
Table of Contents
- Easy Hibachi Chicken with Vegetables
- What is the difference between hibachi and teriyaki chicken?
- Important Ingredients You Will Need
- What type of chicken is used for hibachi?
- Can I Use Dark Meat Chicken
- Can I Use Other Vegetable in Hibachi Chicken
- Could I use a different kind of rice?
- How to Make Hibachi Chicken
- How long will hibachi chicken and veggie last?
- What Can I use Instead of Mustard Sauce in Hibachi Chicken
- More Chinese Take Out Inspired Recipes
- Get the Recipe
Easy Hibachi Chicken with Vegetables
When you hibachi chicken but don’t have time or money to go to the Japanese restaurant, you can make this incredible recipe at home. It is the perfect way to save time and money by simply making hibachi chicken at home.
This tender chicken is paired with sauteed rice and fried rice. It is flavored to perfection and has the best mustard sauce.
What is the difference between hibachi and teriyaki chicken?
Hibachi and teriyaki chicken are similar in a lot of ways. What separates them is the sauce. Hibachi chicken has a soy sauce based sauce that is served with a mustard sauce while teriyaki sauce is a sweet glaze with soy sauce in it.
Important Ingredients You Will Need
You can get all of the measurements and exact ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken breast
- Sesame oil, Soy sauce
- Lemon juice
- Ginger powder
- Mayonnaise, Dijon mustard
- Rice vinegar
- Sweet onion, Zucchini, Mushrooms
- Bean sprouts
- White rice
What type of chicken is used for hibachi?
Hibachi chicken is usually made with white meat chicken breast, however, technically it can be made with any type of chicken.
Can I Use Dark Meat Chicken
I am using chicken breast because that is what I prefer. You can use chicken thighs or even deboned chicken legs as well. You can also use a combination of white and dark meat chicken.
Can I Use Other Vegetable in Hibachi Chicken
There are a lot of vegetables that you can use. I like this version but you can also do matchstick carrots and broccoli as well. You can use whatever kind of vegetables that you like in this recipe.
Could I use a different kind of rice?
This is a basic seasoned white rice recipe but you can use whatever kind of rice you like. You can make a fried rice or you can use a fried jasmine rice. You can also use brown rice if that is what you like better.
How to Make Hibachi Chicken
Step 1 – Cook the Rice
If you haven’t made the rice ahead of time, you will want to cook it now.
Step 2- Make the Chicken
Mix the seasoning of the chicken together and then stir the chicken in to coat it evenly.
Cook the chicken in a skillet until golden brown. This takes about 10 minutes.
Step 3 – Make the Mustard Sauce
While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce. Combine the sauce ingredients and mix it well.
Step 4- Cook the veggies
Remove the chicken from the pan and wipe it clean. Add the vegetable seasonings and the veggies into the pan. Cook until the vegetables are tender but firm.
Add the sesame seeds.
Step 5- Combine
In another skillet, heat butter and then add the garlic.
Add the cooked rice, soy sauce and garlic butter. Season to taste.
Serve the everything together on a plate with a side of mustard sauce.
How long will hibachi chicken and veggie last?
Store the chicken and veggies in an airtight container. It will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze it for 3 months.
What Can I use Instead of Mustard Sauce in Hibachi Chicken
This recipe uses a delicious homemade mustard sauce. But if you do not like mustard sauce, you can use yum yum sauce or a ginger sauce.
More Chinese Take Out Inspired Recipes
- Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Spicy Korean Beef Noodles
- Instant Pot Beef Stir Fry Recipe
- Instant Pot General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
Easy Hibachi Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- Dash of salt
- Dash of black pepper
- If you don’t have rice ready, it is best to cook rice first. You can have the rest of the meal ready by the time you have cooked rice.
- Mix 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic, and ½ tsp ginger powder in a large bowl. Stir in chicken to coat evenly.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium-high heat. Pour in the chicken mixture and cook chicken until golden brown- no pink visible. (about 10 minutes)
- While the chicken is cooking, you can make the dipping sauce. Put the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and a splash of sriracha into a small bowl and give it a good stir.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the skillet and wipe the skillet out.
- Next we will create the vegetable mix. Stir together 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, garlic, onion, zucchini, mushrooms and bean sprouts. Saute vegetables at medium high heat until they are tender but still firm. (This will take 5-10 minutes.) Remove the vegetables from the skillet. Stir in the green onions and 2 tsp sesame seeds.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add 1 tbsp butter and allow it to melt. Then add garlic and stir fry this for 15 to 20 seconds. Add the cooked rice and soy sauce to the garlic butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until fully heated through.
- Serve the cooked chicken, sautéed vegetables, and fried rice with the mustard sauce on the side.