German Chocolate Cupcakes with a delicious homemade frosting and topped with a coconut pecan mixture is a wonderful new take on your favorite cake.
My kids and I love baking cupcakes together. Since German chocolate cake is so good we decided to turn them into a cupcake! This is quickly becoming one of our families favorite recipes along with Twinkie Cupcakes and Campfire Cupcakes.
German Chocolate Cupcakes
These chocolate cupcakes are amazing just on their own, but when you add the homemade frosting on top they get even better.
The thing that makes these German Chocolate is the topping. Usually you’ll see this in between layers of the cake, but since these are cupcakes we’re putting it right on top. The key to that classic taste is coconut and pecans.
Making this topping takes a little extra time but it is time worth spending for sure!
Coconut Pecan Topping
FYI before you begin, you will need a strainer. I know not everyone has one laying around and you don’t want to be standing in the kitchen with some delicious German Chocolate Cupcake topping and no strainer.
To make this topping, you’ll use a saucepan to heat your milk, butter, egg yolks and brown sugar on medium heat until it has thickened. Make sure to continue stirring this the entire time so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
After this you’ll need your strainer to drain your mixture.
Add in the coconut, pecan chips and vanilla.
Here is the printable recipe. Enjoy your cupcakes!
German Chocolate Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line your muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, sift to combine.
- Add in the sugar and brown sugar stir until combined.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter 3/4 in the cupcake liners.
- Fill each one 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool
- Using a medium saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar and butter over medium heat.
- Make sure to stir constantly until thickened. Should take about 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and strain using a mesh strainer
- Stir in the vanilla, shredded coconut and pecan chips.
- Allow mixture to cool completely
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.
- Add the butter on medium speed and beat for 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder 1 cup at a time.
- Continue to mix to combine.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is combined
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag
- Frost the cupcakes using the chocolate frosting
- Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop some of the coconut mixture onto the top of the chocolate frosting
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.