Mexican Cornbread Recipe (5-minute prep)
This is the best Mexican Cornbread Recipe. It is incredibly easy to make, with only 5 minutes of prep time. Combine the ingredients and within 40 minutes you have fresh warm cornbread, straight from the oven.
Mexican Cornbread Recipe
Cornmeal is a great side dish for so many types of meals. I love making it with chili and soup and it even tastes great with pasta. Once you taste how amazing this cornbread is, you will never reach for the box stuff again.
- Cornmeal – Cornmeal is the main ingredient in making cornbread.
- Flour- You want to use all purpose flour but it is ok if you only have self rising flour.
- Sugar- A little sugar goes a long way when making cornbread. You want to add a touch of sweetness while not being too sweet.
- Baking powder- If you are using self rising flour, do not add the baking powder
- Baking soda– Baking soda helps the cornbread to rise slightly.
- Salt- Salt brings out the flavors in this recipe
- Eggs- Your eggs do not need to be at room temperature for this recipe.
- Buttermilk- Buttermilk helps to cut through the fat in the recipe and gives the cornbread a great taste.
- Vegetable oil- Canola oil can also be used.
- Creamed corn- The creamed corn gives the corn flavor and taste while keeping the same consistency of cornbread.
- Green onion- Using the green tops of green onions gives the flavors of onion without the taste being overwhelming.
- Red pepper- Any type of pepper you prefer can be used instead of red peppers.
- Cheddar cheese- If you don’t have cheddar cheese, Mexican cheese can also be used.
How to Make This Mexican Cornbread Recipe
Preheat oven the oven and prepare a baking pan.
Mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
In another mixing bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable oil together.
Add in the creamed corn, onion, red pepper, and cheese.
Stir in the dry ingredients and then pour it into the prepared pan.
Bake for 35 minutes and serve warm.
What to Serve with Mexican Cornbread
- Instant Pot Three Bean Chili Recipe
- Owl Chili Recipe for Kids
- Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Spanish Soup Recipe
- Broccoli Swamp Soup
What Peppers Can I Add to This Cornbread?
I like to add small pieces of red pepper to the cornbread. You can also add jalapeno or other spicy peppers to the corn bread if you want a bit of a kick to the cornbread.
Can I Freeze Cornbread for Later?
I love to make a large batch of cornbread and save half of it for later. I like to cut the cornbread into slices and then wrap each slice in plastic wrap. Keep all of the slices together in a freezer bag.
Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup creamed corn
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped red pepper
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a square 8x8 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil.
- Stir in the creamed corn, onion, red pepper and cheese.
- Mix the whisked dry ingredients into the egg mixture until they are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm. Delicious with chili or soup.