Steak is a savory addition to any dish and who knew it could have gotten any better? These delicious Mexican Steak Bites make it easy to eat taco seasoned steak served with a cheesy queso sauce.
Taco Steak Bites with Queso
This is an appetizer that could make anyone perk up with excitement. My family loves this savory and cheesy recipe that is so simple to make. The tender meat melts in your mouth like butter and the queso (which is similar to our Rotel dip with ground beef, but without the beef) is slightly spicy and flavored with tomatoes and chiles.
You will also love our Garlic Butter Steak Bites made in a skillet.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Steak: You can use any cut of meat whether that be chuck roast or stew beef.
Seasoning: You will need dried minced onion or onion powder, minced garlic, and taco seasoning. For additional flavor, you can add tomatoes with green chiles.
White Queso: I like to use white Velveeta cheese queso, but any yellow kind will work as well.
How To Make Mexican Steak Bites
Step 1. Add the beef, garlic, onion, and seasonings into a large bowl and combine until coated evenly. Put the ingredients into the crock pot. Pour in the water and place the butter on top. Allow the ingredients to cook for 4-6 hours on low or 4 hours on high until tender.
Step 2. When you’re ready to enjoy, prepare the queso. Add the cheese into a medium saucepan along with the drained tomatoes and chiles. Combine on medium-low heat until melted. Take the steak bites out of the slow cooker with a slotted spoon and serve with the warm queso. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Mexican Steak Bites?
I love serving this dish as an appetizer for parties and get-togethers, but you can also serve it as a normal dinner or lunch recipe. You can make tacos, burritos, bowls, etc with the meat or serve over Spanish-style rice or potatoes. Serve with chips or bread as well if desired.
Tips & Tricks
- Place the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- You can use regular, mild, or hot taco seasoning.
- Use fresh or powdered garlic.
- For more of a kick, you can add into diced jalapenos to the steak or queso.
- I like using the queso with chips as well.
More Mexican-Style Recipes:
- Pork Carnitas (Mexican Slow Cooker Pulled Pork)
- Mexican Macaroni Ham Salad
- Instant Pot Mexican Corn Dip with Jalapenos
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole (15-Minute Prep)
Mexican Steak Bites
- 2 ½-3 lbs. steak chuck roast, or stew beef, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tsp onion dried minced or onion powder
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1 oz. envelope taco seasoning
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup water
- 16 oz. white queso Velveeta cheese
- 1 10-oz. can tomatoes with green chiles drained
- In a large bowl combine your beef with the garlic, onion, and seasonings. Stir until evenly coated. Place it into the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the water and top with the butter. Slow cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 4 hours, until the meat, is tender.
- When ready to serve make the queso. In a medium saucepan add your Velveeta cheese and drained tomatoes and chiles. Stir over medium-low heat until everything is melted. Using a slotted spoon remove the steak bites from the slow cooker and serve with the queso for dipping.