These Orange Coconut Cream Puffs is a gourmet cream puff recipe that takes ordinary cream puffs to a new level. Toasted coconut mixed with a strong orange flavor makes these cream puffs absolutely amazing. While there are several steps in making these cream puffs, one bite and it will be worth it.
If you love orange flavored desserts, you will love Orange Julius Cheesecake Bars
Orange Coconut Cream Puffs
The Choux pastry, also called pâte à choux, is the base of these cream puffs. It is used in many types of pastries that have their roots in European desserts. The dough is made using butter, water, flour, and eggs. While most doughs use a rising agent, like baking powder, this dough uses the moisture to create steam which causes the pastry to rise and puff.
- Unsalted butter
- Coconut milk
- Powdered sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Heavy cream
- Coconut flakes
- White chocolate
- Coconut cream
How to Make Orange Coconut Cream Puffs
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk the eggs.
In a sauce pan melt the butter and add the coconut milk, water, salt, and sugar.
Next, add the flour and stir constantly with a wooden spoon, cook it for 3 minutes until some of the water has evaporated. it will form a mass and that pulls away from the sides of the pan.
Remove the pan from the heat and add 2/3 of the whisked eggs and stir hard for 1 minute. Slowly add in the rest of the eggs, a little at a time, until the paste is smooth and glossy.
Scoop about 2 heaping teaspoons to the baking sheet in one of 2 ways:
Using a pastry bag with a large star tip and pipe a spiral or use 2 spoons to form a sphere and use wet fingers to press down the peaks or to reshape.
Bake the cream puffs for 10 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown. Do not open the oven and reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for another 8-10 minutes.
Remove the cream puffs from oven and use the handle of a wooden spoon or a large chopstick to poke a hole in the side or bottom of each puff. You want to do this as soon as possible, allowing remaining steam to escape so that the pastry doesn’t become soggy.
Allow the cream puffs to cool completely.
Make the filling
Using a mixer or a whisk, beat the cold cream until it forms soft peaks.
Add the orange zest and powdered sugar sprinkled over the cream and then beat it well until it is stiff and thoroughly combined.
Fold in the orange juice carefully so you do not cause the cream to fall.
Cover and set aside in fridge until you are ready to assemble the cream.
Assemble the Cream Puffs
Toast the coconut by putting it on a baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes in a 300 degree oven.
Put the cream into a piping bag and pipe the cream into the puffs. Be careful to fill the puffs without bursting them.
Place the filled cream puffs into the freezer while making the chocolate ganache.
Make the Ganache
Melt the chocolate and the coconut cream in a double boiler, stirring well to completely incorporate it.
Remove the cream puffs from the freezer and dip the tops of the cream puffs into the chocolate.
Once all of the puffs have all been dipped, roll it gently in the coconut flakes.
After all the puffs are coated, place them in the refrigerator and the allow the ganache to set completely for about 15-30 minutes.
Best if served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several hours or in the freezer for several days. If frozen, allow to defrost on a plate or open baking tray before serving.
What’s the Secret to Good Cream Puffs?
When you are making cream puffs, you want to make sure they are not soggy. If the puff itself is soggy, the cream puff will not taste good. In order to make sure the cream puffs are not soggy, release the steam ass soon as they come out of the oven by puncturing a hole in the bottom or side.
Can I Use Different Cream Puff Filling in These?
A traditional cream puff using a pastry cream filling. you can create a plain pastry cream, apposed to the coconut and orange. you can also make a frosting and use that to fill the cream puff. If you have a thick custard that you love to make, it can also be used inside the cream puffs.
Orange Coconut Cream Puffs
- ¼ c unsalted butter
- ¼ c coconut milk
- ¼ c water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ c all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ¼ c powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- ½ c coconut flakes toasted
- 5 oz white chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
Make choux puffs
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat.
- Whisk eggs together in a measuring cup or small bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy sauce pan over med-low heat with coconut milk, water, salt, and sugar.
- Once melted, add all flour at once stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes to evaporate some of the water and bring together into a mass that pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat. Add 2/3 of whisked eggs stirring vigorously for about 1 minute. When incorporated, assess and add more egg a little at a time stirring vigorously after each addition until paste is smooth and glossy and forms a “V” when the spoon is pulled away.
- Add mounds of ~2 heaping tsp to lined baking sheet in either of the following ways.
Two options to shape:
- Add to pastry bag and pipe with a large star tip in a spiral.
- Use two spoons to form approximate spheres.
- Wet fingers can be used to press down peaks or reshape odd lumps.
- Bake at 425° F for 10 minutes until just starting to turn golden brown. Do not open the oven during this time. Reduce heat to 375° and bake for a further 8-10 minutes until fully golden brown and crunchy.
- Remove from oven. Use the handle of a wooden spoon or a large chopstick to poke a hole in the side or bottom of each puff as soon as possible, allowing remaining steam to escape so that the pastry doesn’t become soggy. Allow to cool completely.
Make the filling
- Beat cold cream with a whisk or handheld mixer until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle orange zest and sifted powdered sugar evenly over surface of cream. Beat further until fairly stiff and sugar is evenly distributed.
- Fold in orange juice carefully so you do not deflate the cream. Cover and set aside in fridge until ready to assemble.
- If coconut is not already toasted: spread evenly on a lined baking sheet and toast in a 300° F oven for 3-5 minutes until just starting to turn golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool before assembly.
- Once puffs and cream are completely cool:
- Fill a piping bag or syringe fitted with a filling/injection tip with the beaten cream.
- Pipe cream into puffs through the previous perforation until puff is sturdy to a gentle squeeze, but not bursting. You may need to adjust the angle of the piping tip several times to navigate the pockets inside the choux. Repeat with remaining puffs and cream.
- Place filled puffs in freezer while heating chocolate ganache.
- Melt white chocolate and coconut cream in a double boiler or heat proof bowl sitting on a pot of simmering water. Do not allow water to touch bottom of bowl.
- When mostly melted, stir until completely incorporated. Turn off heat but leave bowl sitting over hot water.
- Remove filled puffs from freezer. Holding the base of the puff with your fingers, dip top into ganache, rotating until about half of puff is coated. Flip and rest coated puff chocolate side up on the tray.
- Repeat with another puff. Once that puff is coated. Take first puff and gently roll ganache in cooled coconut flakes. If it is very warm in you work space, you may need to coat 2 puffs in chocolate before coating first one in coconut. Repeat pattern with remaining puffs.
- Once all puffs are coated, move to fridge to allow ganache to set completely, about 15-30 minutes.
- Best if served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several hours or in the freezer for several days. If frozen, allow to defrost on a plate or open baking tray before serving.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.