A Patriotic Layered Cake is a fun and festive dessert for the 4th of July! If you need a red, white and blue dessert to this Independence day, this is it.
Are you looking for more great patriotic treats for the 4th of July? You’re in luck! These Cake Mix Cookies are my favorite, and I love S’mores Chex Mix & Flag Donuts, too. So many great recipes to choose from!
Patriotic Layered Cake
What I love best about this cake is that it looks SO pretty. People see it and assume you’ve spent a whole day making it. It just looks fancy.
But, as great as it looks, it actually isn’t all that difficult to make. In fact, it’s pretty easy.
We make this layered cake by mixing up two boxes of your favorite vanilla cake mix. Then, we separate it into three bowls and simply add some bright red and bright blue food coloring.
The vanilla icing is where we cut no corners. After all, frosting is the best part of the cake! It has to be good.
It’s a simple four ingredient recipe you’ll want to master and use over and over on all of your cakes.
Last, we coat the whole thing in LOTS of patriotic sprinkles. It makes the cake look like a firework.
Enjoy your cake and your 4th of July!
Patriotic Layered Cake
- 2 boxes of French vanilla cake mix
- 2 C cold whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened (2 sticks)
- 3 9 inch round cake pans
- 1 12 inch round cake board
- Red and Sky Blue food coloring
- pam baking spray
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 3 medium size mixing bowl
- Cake leveler
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 3 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 8 C powdered sugar
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3 Containers of confetti patriotic sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray the cake pans with baking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together cake mix, milk, eggs, and butter until combined and smooth
- Split the batter evenly between the 3 mixing bowls
- Add in a few drops of sky blue color into one of the bowls
- Add in a few drops of red into the second bowl and mix until combined
- Leave the third bowl white
- Pour the red batter into one cake pan
- Pour the blue batter into the second cake pan
- Pour the white batter into the third cake pan
- Bake the pans in the preheated oven for 21-25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean
- Allow cakes to cool completely on the counters
- Remove cakes from pans and place onto a cutting board
- Using the cake leveler, cut the domes off of the cakes to create even slices
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until smooth and stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minutes
- Scoop out two cups of frosting and place into another small bowl
- Directions on putting the cake together
- Place the Red cake layer onto the cake board
- Scoop about 1 1/2 C of frosting onto the cake layer and spread evenly
- Place the white cake layer on top of the frosting
- Scoop 1 1/2 C of frosting onto the blue layer and spread evenly
- Place the Blue cake layer on top of the second layer or frosting
- Once the layers have been stacked on top of each other, use the remaining frosting and frost the entire cake completely
- Place the cake onto a large cookie sheet
- Open one container of patriotic sprinkles and coat the sides of the cake completely
- Divide the frosting into three bowls, add a few drops of red food coloring into one bowl, blue food coloring into the second bowl and leave the third white
- Using a large cup and the piping bag, scoop the red frosting onto one side of the piping bag
- Scoop the blue frosting onto another side of the piping bag
- Scoop the white frosting into the piping bag
- Pipe dollops of frosting around the top edge of the cake
- Sprinkle some more patriotic sprinkles onto the top of the cake
- Remove cake from cookie sheet and place into the fridge for one hour before removing and cutting slices out.