These Banana Crumb Muffins are a special treat. Perfect for breakfast or dessert, these muffins are moist and delicious. The crumb filling and topping bring a coffee cake like flavor to these muffins but the bananas give the right amount of sweetness.
Banana Crumb Muffins Recipe
Banana muffins are perfect. They are sweet but not as sweet as cupcakes. These banana crumb muffins are similar to coffee cake muffins with the sweet taste of bananas. The crumb topping is made using brown sugar which adds a delicious layer of flavor to these incredible muffins.
- Butter- You want to make sure the butter is cold since you are cutting it into the sugar and flour to make the crumb topping.The butter that is used in the muffins should be softened
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar adds more flavor to the crumb topping.
- Unbleached flour – If you do not have unbleached flour on hand, you can use all purpose flour or self rising flour.
- Baking powder- If you are using self rising flour, you do not need to add the baking powder
- Cinnamon-A little cinnamon goes a long way in this recipe
- Salt- Salt brings out the flavors in baked goods.
- Bananas- This is a great way to use ripe bananas that might not be appetizing to eat alone.
- Lemon juice- The lemon juice adds acidity to the muffins which helps break down the flour giving the muffins a tender texture.
- Sugar- The sugar makes these muffins sweet but not too sweet.
- Egg- You want the egg to be room temperature
- Vanilla- Use pure vanilla instead of imitation for the best flavor.
- Milk- You can use whole milk, 2% or Fat free in this recipe
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar is the base of the glaze
- Water- You will use the water to get the right consistency in the glaze.
How to Make Banana Crumb Muffins
Make the crumb topping by combining the brown sugar and flour in a food processor.
Next, add in the cold butter and pulse it until the mixture starts to form pea sized crumbles.
Pour crumbs into a bowl and place in the refrigerator until needed.
Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl and set it aside.
In the food processor, mix together the bananas and lemon juice until smooth.
Add the butter, egg, sugar, and vanilla and pulse until it is smooth.
Place cupcake liners into a cupcake pan.
Fill the cupcake liners about half way full and then add a small layer of crumb topping.
Add another layer of batter and another layer of crumbs, almost to the top of the liners.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the muffins cool for 10-15 minutes and then add the glaze.
To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and water and mix well.
Drizzle glaze over muffins.
How do I Store Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping?
You will want to store these banana muffins with crumb topping at room temperature. It is best to store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. You can also wrap them in plastic wrap. If you have more muffins that you will eat before they go bad, you can also freeze the muffins.
How to Ripen Bananas Fast
There are a few ways to ripen bananas fast. If you have a few days, you can sit the bananas in a warm spot or place them in a paper bag with ripe bananas or apples. The gases that are given off will ripen the bananas. If you need the bananas fast, you can ripen them in the oven. This will provide the sweetness of ripened bananas and the softness.
To ripen bananas in the oven, bake them for 15-20 in a 300 degree oven. While the microwave will soften and prepare the bananas for baking, it does not give them the sweetness of over ripe bananas.
Other Delicious Muffin Recipes You Will Love
Banana Crumb Muffins Recipe
Crumb Filling and Topping Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unbleached flour
Banana Muffins Ingredients:
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crumb topping/filling, combine brown sugar and flour in a food processor and process until mixed.
- Add in 1/2 cup cold butter and process until it forms pea sized crumbles.
- Pour crumbs into a bowl and place in the refrigerator until needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and set aside.
- In the same food processor you used before, combine bananas and lemon juice, mix until smooth.
- Add in softened butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Slowly pulse in flour mixture and milk until smooth.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and be ready to scoop the batter and crumb filling/topping.
- Fill cupcake liners about half way full with batter and then add about a 1 Tablespoon layer of crumb filling.
- Top the crumb filling with another layer of batter, almost to the top of the liners.
- Add a heaping scoop or two of crumb filling/topping over the batter so that it makes a large mound.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before adding the glaze.
- To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar and water and mix well.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins.
- Remove muffins from the pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
1 thought on “Banana Crumb Muffins Recipe”
This recipe is the best banana muffin I’ve come across! Putting the crumb in the middle is a game changer, and using the food processor is so incredible. Muffins are also moist and delicious. Thank you!