Cake Mix Banana Bread is moist, fluffy, and made with just 5 ingredients. This easy banana bread recipe is always a hit, especially when served warm from the oven!
Easy Cake Mix Banana Bread Recipe
Banana bread is a classic recipe for a reason – who doesn’t love a moist and fluffy slice of quick bread that also lets you use up ripe bananas?
This cake mix banana bread makes that classic recipe even easier, with just 5 ingredients. There’s no need to measure out a handful of dry ingredients, so the prep requires only a few minutes. Just combine the ingredients and bake!
Since the cake mix adds also lends some flavor to the bread, the end result tastes like a cross between a quick bread and a banana cake. I highly recommend enjoying a thick slice that’s still warm from the oven with some butter or honey. SO GOOD!
Why Make Banana Bread Using Cake Mix?
Here are a few of my favorite things about this easy banana bread recipe – and why you should give it a try too!
- Just 5 ingredients. Since the cake mix already contains most of the ingredients you’d need, the only things you need to add are some mashed bananas, eggs, oil, and baking soda.
- Quick and easy. It takes less than 10 minutes to whip up the batter for this homemade banana bread.
- Great flavor. The cake mix gives this banana bread a bit of a sweeter flavor, almost like a banana cake but with the texture of banana bread.
- Freezes well. Make a double batch so you can freeze one for later!
What You’ll Need
You will only need 5 ingredients for this recipe. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for specific amounts.
- Bananas – Use very ripe bananas for this bread. The browner the better! This is a great way to use up all those browning bananas on your cupboard.
- Butter or oil – I recommend vegetable oil or unsalted butter
- Vanilla cake mix – The key to this easy banana bread recipe!
- Baking soda
How Do You Ripen Bananas Fast?
If your bananas are still green or a bit too yellow and you want to make your bread now, here are a few tricks to ripen bananas quickly.
- You can add the bananas into a bag with a very ripe banana or apple.
- Bake unripened bananas on a foil-lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes.
Can I Add Nuts to This Recipe?
While this recipe doesn’t include nuts, oftentimes, people like to add walnuts to the banana bread. This tastes amazing and you can certainly add it to this recipe or you can use it to top the bread as well. Chop up the nuts so that you don’t have huge pieces in the batter. I’d recommend about 1/2 cup of nuts. You could also add some chocolate chips if desired.
How to Make Cake Mix Banana Bread
This 5 ingredient banana bread recipe is a breeze to prepare! Just combine the ingredients and bake.
- Prepare the batter. Mash the bananas with the eggs and oil. In a separate bowl, combine the cake mix and baking soda. Add half of the mashed bananas to the cake mix, use a hand mixer to combine, then pour in the remaining banana mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Bake. Pour the batter into a generously greased loaf pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
How Long Does It Take To Bake Banana Bread?
This easy banana bread with cake mix takes about 35 to 40 minutes to bake. However, you want to start checking it around 30 minutes as everyone’s oven is different and you don’t want to overbake it. I recommend checking with a toothpick at 30 minutes and then every 5 minutes or so until it’s done. It usually takes 38 minutes in my oven.
Banana bread can be eaten on its own, but you can also serve slices with butter, jam, or honey. Cinnamon honey butter is a lovely addition!
You can also do fun things with this cake mix banana bread like lightly frying it in a pan with a bit of butter, then serving it with ice cream and whipped cream. During the summer months, you can grill banana bread instead of frying it in a pan.
How to Store
Although you can store sliced banana bread, I usually store it as a whole loaf and just slice off pieces when I want to eat them. This prevents the bread from drying out too quickly.
- Counter: Let your bread come to room temperature, then cover it with saran wrap or cut into slices and store in an airtight container. It will keep on the counter for up to 4 days.
- Fridge: You can extend the shelf life of your bread by storing it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes, this easy banana bread freezes well! Let it come to room temperature, then wrap it in a couple layers of plastic wrap before placing it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag. You can store the bread in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat it, simply thaw overnight in the fridge or on the counter for a few hours.
More Quick Bread Recipes to Try
- Japanese Milk Bread
- Incredibly Moist Pumpkin Bread
- Cranberry Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
- Carrot Cake Loaf
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
Easy Cake Mix Banana Bread Recipe
- 1.5 cups bananas mashed about 3 medium or 9.6 oz
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons butter or oil if using butter measure after melting
- 16.25 ounces vanilla cake mix
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F, generously butter a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas the mix in the eggs and the melted butter or oil. In a large bowl pour mix the cake mix and the baking soda.
- Pour half of the mashed banana into the cake mix then use a hand mixer to mix for a few minutes, then pour in the remaining of the mashed banana mix and mix until you have a batter that’s thoroughly combined and has a bit of air and fluffiness to it.
- Pour the batter into the buttered pan then place in center of the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until you can insert a butter knife or long toothpick into the center of the bread and it comes out clean.
- Keep an eye on it around the 30 minutes because everyone’s ovens is different, insert the knife to check and after every 5 minutes check again until it comes clean. My oven took about 38 minutes. Once baked through set on a rack to cool completely before cutting into.