These Breakfast Burritos are sure going to be your main reason for getting out of bed in the morning. We love make-ahead breakfast recipes like Breakfast Muffins and Homemade McGriddle Sandwiches to make breakfast easier. We pop several of these in the freezer for those busy on-the-go mornings!
Freezer Breakfast Burritos
These burritos are so good and are filled with tons of delicious ingredients. This recipe is super filling and will keep you satisfied until lunch. You can make this for yourself or cook up a bunch of ingredients to serve to a group of people. This is a great brunch idea as well and people can come to grab what they like and add it to their burrito.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Cheddar Cheese: You can use cheddar cheese or any other cheese that you like.
Breakfast Sausage: You can use any type of breakfast sausage for this recipe. I like to use turkey sausage.
Eggs: These will be used to give you a thicker and more protein-packed burrito.
Flour Tortillas: I like to use large or burrito-sized tortillas to get a good-sized burrito for breakfast. I like filling it with tons of veggies.
How To Make Breakfast Burritos
Step 1. In a large skillet, add the sausage and cook until browned and no pink is visible. Remove the excess grease and set it aside. Put a diced onion with 1/2 tbsp of butter into the large skillet and cook on medium heat until tender for about 5 minutes. Place in a bowl when done.
Step 2. In a medium bowl, add the eggs and whisk until no big streaks of the yolk. Place the rest of the butter into the skillet and melt on medium heat before adding in the eggs and mixing slowly until they are cooked. When the eggs are still a bit moist, take away from the heat and add salt and pepper for taste.
Assembling The Burritos
Step 1. Place the flour tortilla on a plate or countertop and add a spoonful of the cooked eggs into the center. Add some onion, some cheese, and sausage on top of the eggs.
Step 1. Starting from the bottom, fold the burrito in the sides and continue rolling until fully closed.
Step 2. Eat right away or enjoy it later by following the instructions below to freeze.
How To Freeze Breakfast Burritos?
You can freeze your breakfast burrito so you can have it already made for another morning or enjoy it later on.
Use parchment paper to roll the burritos and label each one with what it contains before placing it into a freezer bag. Label and date the Ziploc bags and set them into the freezer to enjoy later.
What’s in this burrito is delicious, but don’t stop there! You can put almost anything into a breakfast burrito. You can add eggs, sausage, hash browns, bacon, rice, veggies, and more. There is so much room to experiment according to your liking. You can also sauté a variety of vegetables to add in such as:
- Finely diced onion
- Chopped Bell Pepper
- Hash brown potatoes
My husband likes southwest breakfast burritos so we add in tomatoes, black beans, onions, guacamole, salsa and chicken for some protein.
Can I Substitute the Sausage?
We prefer sausage, but any other meats will work. Bacon or ham works as a great alternative.
More Breakfast Recipes:
- Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket
- Easy Italian Breakfast Casserole
- Sausage Breakfast Muffins (4-ingredients)
- 8 oz. cheddar
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp butter divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 12 large eggs
- 8 large flour tortillas burrito size
- Cook sausage, until the sausage is crumbled and no longer pink. Drain any excess fat. Set aside.Add the diced onion to a large skillet with ½ Tbsp butter and sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent (about 5 minutes). Transfer to a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs together until there are no dark yellow streaks of yolk visible. Heat the remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the eggs and stir slowly, until the eggs come together and become cooked. Remove from heat when they are still slightly moist. Season with salt and pepper.
Assemble the burritos
- add a spoonful of scrambled eggs to the middle of each tortilla, then top with a spoonful of cooked onion, a handful of cheese, and some sausage.
- Fold the tortilla up from the bottom, then fold in the sides, and then finish rolling the burrito up until it has closed. Wrap each burrito in parchment paper. Label each burrito after they are rolled. Transfer the wrapped burritos to freezer bags, label and date the storage bags, then place them in the freezer.