Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole Recipe with Sausage
Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
Can I Use Ham in this Breakfast Casserole?
The great think about this breakfast casserole is that you can make simple changes to make it a new recipe. For this recipe, I used smoked sausage for the main protein.
If you prefer, this will work just as well with ham, sausage, or even bacon. You can even use chicken or chicken sausage if you have on hand. Also, don’t be afraid to load this with vegetables! A few simple changes creates a whole new flavor.
Can This Cook on Low Overnight?
If you want to cook this overnight, you can cook it on low. It will take about 6-7 hours on low. This is a great way to have breakfast waiting for you when you get up in the morning.
Note: You may want to line your slow cooker or at least spray well with non-stick spray so that the potatoes don’t burn or get too crispy around the edges.
What is the Best Cheese for a Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole?
When I am making this hashbrown breakfast casserole, I like to use cheddar cheese. It is my favorite when it comes to this casserole. But just like you can change the flavor of the casserole by changing the proteins, you can also change this recipe by adding different cheese. You want to make sure you are using a cheese that melts well for the best results.
Other options that would be great are mozzarella, pepper jack cheese, or a cheese blend that includes cheddar and Colby.
Slow Cooker Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients you will need:
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Hash browns
- Smoked sausage
- Yellow onion
- Grated cheddar cheese
How to Make a Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
To begin, you will need to simmer your cream of mushroom soup and milk together for a few minutes just to heat it through.
While that is heating, you will add the hashbrowns, sausage, and onions to the slow cooker with 1 cup of cheese.
Next, pour the sauce mixture over the top and stir until all of the casserole is combined.
You’ll top this with the remaining cheese and herbs then cover and cook as directed.
Loaded Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 32 oz hash browns frozen bag defrosted
- 14 oz smoked sausage diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- In a sauce pan, simmer cream of mushroom soup and milk for about 2-3 minutes.
- In the slow cooker, place hash browns, sausage, onion, and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Pour in cream of the mushroom mixture and stir.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and herbs on top, cover, and cook on high until potatoes are soft, about 3 hours. Serve hot and enjoy.