When you are looking for a filling, delicious soup, you have to try our Butternut Squash Soup. This soup is rich and creamy but without being too sweet. Perfect for a chilly night, this healthy soup recipe is sure to be a hit with family and friends alike.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This version of butternut squash soup is a great tasting healthy soup. Packed with vegetables, this soup isn’t as sweet as the Panera version, which lets the taste of the squash shine through. While I prefer it that way, if you find that you want something sweeter, or more like a copycat version, you can add some brown sugar at the end. I like to add it by the bowl, this way everyone can adjust the sweetness for themselves.
I love serving rolls whenever we made soup. These 30 Minute Dinner Rolls are a perfect side dish for Butternut Squash soup.
Ingredients You Will Need
(full amounts in recipe box below)
- Butternut squash
- Reduced sodium chicken broth or stock
- Whipping cream
- Optional toppings: sour cream, ground black pepper, brown sugar, cinnamon
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup
In a large pan, combine the butternut squash, carrots, and chicken broth. On medium high heat, cook the soup until it starts to simmer.
Simmer the soup for 45 minutes, uncovered, until the vegetables are very soft.
Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it is smooth.
Stir in the butter until it is melted and then add the cream. Stir until it is mixed in well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add additional toppings and serve.
What Should I Serve with this Butternut Squash Soup?
While I love serving bread or rolls with this, you can also serve it with a side salad. The soup can easily be a complete meal on its own, but if you prefer to have protein with every meal, you might also want to serve this soup with some chicken breast or rotisserie chicken.
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
YES! You can freeze the soup. I like to freeze soup in individual serving sizes because it makes it easier to bring out the freezer and enjoy without having to thaw the entire batch of soup.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 3 pounds butternut squash cubed and peeled (approximately 8 cups)
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Optional toppings: sour cream ground black pepper, brown sugar, cinnamon
- In a large pot, combine the butternut squash, onions, carrots, and chicken broth. Heat over medium heat until the soup begins to simmer. Simmer the soup uncovered for 45 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Carefully blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth (or puree in a blender in small batches, then transfer back to the pot).
- Stir in the butter until melted then add the cream and stir the soup until well blended. Add salt to taste.
- Serve the soup hot with sour cream or other toppings if desired.