It just doesn’t get any better than this Lemon Gooey Butter Cake. This is an easy cake mix recipe with a total of only 5-ingredients! It’s like lemon bars, lemon cake and lemon cheesecake all in one that will impress everyone with such little effort!
Lemon Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
I absolutely love Gooey Butter Cake. It is one of those amazingly rich desserts that I can not resist. So when I was craving it one day and all I had was a lemon cake mix I figured, gooey butter cake and lemon would taste amazing together. Oh, let me tell you, it was a game-changer! The zesty tanginess of the lemon perfectly complemented the richness of the gooey butter cake. I couldn’t believe how well they harmonized. Trust me, if you’re a fan of Gooey Butter Cake and have a hankering for a twist of citrusy goodness, this lemon dessert is an absolute must-try.
Ingredients You Need:
- For the Crust: The crust of the lemon butter cake is made of lemon cake mix, unsalted butter and eggs.
- For the Filling: The gooey filling is made up cream cheese, powdered sugar and eggs to bind it together.
How to Make Gooey Lemon Butter Cake
Make the crust: Combine the cake mix, eggs and melted butter to make a cake batter. Spread it into the prepared 9*13 baking pan to create the bottom layer.
Make the Filling: Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, cream cheese and powdered sugar together. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crust.
Bake and Serve: Bake the lemon gooey butter cake until it is lightly golden brown and still gooey. Let it cool and top with powdered sugar. Serve.
Tips and Tricks
- Use room temperature ingredients: Make sure the eggs and cream cheese are at room temperature when you make the cake. It creates a smoother batter.
- More lemon flavor: You can add fresh lemon juice or lemon zest to the cream mixture if you want even more lemony flavor. Lemon extract can also be used in a pinch.
- Don’t overmix the batter: When adding the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, be careful not to overmix. Overmixing can lead to a dense and tough cake. Mix until just combined to maintain a tender and moist texture.
- Use a light hand when pressing the crust: When spreading the cake mixture into the pan, use a gentle touch to press it down evenly. Avoid pressing too firmly, as it can result in a denser crust.
- Bake until the center is slightly jiggly: The gooey texture is what makes this cake so irresistible. Bake it until the center is set but still slightly jiggly. This ensures a gooey and moist interior.
- Toppings: A light dusting of powdered sugar is typically added to the top of gooey butter cake. This is also great with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
How to Store
Store the cake in the refrigerator and eat it within 5 days. Once the cake has cooled, place it in the refrigerator, wrapped well in plastic wrap or placed in an airtight container.
Freezing: The cake can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Wrap the entire cake with plastic wrap and be sure to have it sealed well to prevent freezer burn. When ready to use, take out of the freezer and let it thaw to room temperature for a few hours.
More Delicious Lemon Desserts
- Lemon Cream Cheese Swirl Cake
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- No-Bake Lemon Lasagna
- Lemon Cookie Bars
- Lemon Dump Cake
Lemon Gooey Butter Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cake mix, melted butter and 2 eggs.
- Once the cake mix is combined spread it into the bottom of your baking dish.
- In another medium mixing bowl using an electric mixer combine the remaining 2 eggs, cream cheese and 4 cups of powdered sugar.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the cake layer.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until the top is lightly golden. This cake will still be gooey!!
- Let cool and top with powdered sugar if desired.
- Cut into 9 or 12 pieces and serve!