This Chex Mix Recipe is the Ultimate snack filled with two types of Chex cereal, pretzels, cheese crackers, oyster crackers, mixed nuts and seasonings.
This recipe is slow-roasted for 2 hours in a slow cooker which makes the mix come out super toasty and crunchy or you can bake it in the oven. It is a great snack mix for school, work lunches, movies or game night.
Homemade Chex Mix
This has a salty, cheesy, and savory flavor with crunchy and crispy textures. The sauce used in the mix is a combination of butter, Worcestershire sauce, dried onion, garlic powder, and cajun seasoning. You can alter the flavor depending on your preference.
This recipe is one of my favorites to make because it makes a lot of mixes and I can have leftovers for a long time before making it again. I like storing mine in separate little sandwich bags so that I can grab and go if I need something quick to eat before work or an event.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Cereal: You will need two types of Chex cereal, rice, and wheat.
Crackers: I like to add cheese and oyster crackers into the mix.
Pretzels: I like salty flavors along with savory flavors using pretzels. I also add mixed nuts for more salty and nutty flavors.
Sauce: This will be a mixture of butter, worcheshire sauce, cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and dried onion.
How To Make Chex Mix
Step 1. Add the cereals, pretzels, crackers, and nuts into a slow cooker and combine. Put the butter into a small heat-safe bowl and melt in the microwave. Put in the Worcestershire sauce and spices and combine until fully incorporated. Add into the mixture and combine until coated evenly.
Step 2. Put the lid on and cook for 2 hours on high heat. Mix the ingredients every 20 minutes. Pour the cooked mixture onto a large baking sheet or tray evenly. Allow the mix to sit for 5-10 minutes to cool before serving.
Oven Chex Mix Recipe:
Step 1. Use parchment paper to line a baking sheet and pour the prepared mixture on it and spread it out evenly.
Step 2. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes. Make sure to stir every 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes before enjoying it.
How To Store Chex Mix?
Place the leftovers into an airtight container or Ziplock bag for the best storage method. You can keep this stored at room temperature for up to 1 week. If you want the recipe to last longer, you can store them in the fridge.
You can use some of the options below if you don’t have certain ingredients or want to alter the recipe.
- If you want to use different seasonings, you can substitute them with others or add more if you want a stronger flavor. I like using seasoning salt in this recipe too.
- If you don’t have dried onion, you can use onion powder instead.
- You can swap the crackers or cereals with goldfish, Fritos, or cheerios.
- If you want to remove the nuts, you can add in 3 cups of another ingredient like crackers, cereals, or pretzels.
Tips & Tricks
- If you find that you want the recipe done faster, you can use the baking method. This will also help with anyone that doesn’t have a slow cooker and prefers baking instead.
- You can change the flavor to make it sweeter and fall or winter flavors by using cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, gingerbread, with vanilla instead of worcheshire sauce.
- Make sure to mix every 15 to 20 minutes to keep the mix from sticking together and burning.
More Chex Recipes:
Chex Mix Recipe (Oven or Crockpot)
- 3 cups rice Chex cereal
- 3 cups wheat Chex cereal
- 3 cups cheese crackers
- 3 cups oyster crackers
- 2 cups pretzels
- 3 cups mixed nuts
- 9 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried onion
- In your slow cooker stir together the cereals, pretzels, crackers, and nuts.
- In a small bowl melt your butter in the microwave until melted.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and spices until well combined.
- Pour over the cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting for 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Spread the cereal mixture on a large cookie sheet or tray.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour on the Chex mix and spread into an even layer.
- Bake the mixture for 45-50 minutes, mixing every 15 minutes until light brown and crispy.
- Allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes on the tray before serving.