Chocolate covered Chex Mix cereal – aka muddy buddies – is one of our favorite treats! This Valentine Puppy Chow version is perfect for the holiday because it’s packed with pink and red M&M’s and lots of sprinkles. Super easy and super tasty.
Valentine Chex Mix
Isn’t Puppy Chow one of the best, most versatile treats? You can change it up to make it perfect for every single holiday or any birthday theme. You can even match it to a fun movie night at home (I’m thinking red and yellow for the Paw Patrol movie or bright red for Clifford the Big Red Dog!)
We also love making puppy chow for our kids school parties! It’s a great chance to get the kids creating in the kitchen. Make a double batch and package it up in snack sized ziploc baggies. For this one, the kids can even attach their Valentine cards to it with a staple.
You can never go wrong with Puppy Chow.
Ingredients You Need
- Chex Cereal – the plain one.
- Peanut Butter – creamy, not chunky.
- Milk Chocolate Chips – semi-sweet doesn’t give enough flavor for this.
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla – pure extract.
- M&M’s – in Valentine colors.
- Sprinkles – there are lots of fun Valentine sprinkles to choose from.
How To Make Valentine Puppy Chow
- Put the cereal into a large plastic baggy.
- Melt the peanut butter, chocolate and butter in the microwave for about a minute. When it’s melted and creamy, stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal inside the bag.
- Shake the bag to coat the cereal in chocolate mixture.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cereal, seal the bag and shake again.
- Add in the M&M’s and sprinkles.
How To Store Valentine Puppy Chow
You can keep this right inside the baggy you made it in (or a fresh one, if it got messy) at room temperature for about 3 days. If you need it to last longer, pop it in the fridge for up to a week.
More Fun Valentine Recipes
Valentine Puppy Chow
- Combine peanut butter, butter, and chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute, then stir until melted and creamy.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- In a large bowl with a cover, pour chocolate mixture over cereal. Cover and shake until cereal is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over cereal. Cover and shake until evenly coated.
- Add M&Ms and sprinkles of your choice.