When it comes to the best Chicken Corn Chowder recipe, this one can not be beaten. This is a thick rich corn chowder that has tender chicken, potatoes, and corn in a creamy, heavy cream-based broth. This chowder is so filling and so easy to make that it is sure to become a family favorite.
Chowder is fabulous comfort food. Here are 40+ of the BEST Comfort Food Recipes.
Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
Many people think that chicken corn chowder is difficult to make, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. It is delicious and makes an amazing dinner. This chowder can be made in a hurry for a weeknight meal or made in a slow cooker to make it even easier. When you make this chowder for friends, everyone will be asking for the recipe.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Red bell pepper
- Chicken broth
- Frozen corn
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Ground black pepper
- Dried thyme
- Minute tapioca
- Heavy cream
How to Make Chicken Corn Chowder
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, red pepper, garlic, and celery. Saute until the vegetables are soft, which takes about 4 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, chicken, frozen corn, potatoes.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, red pepper, garlic, and celery and sauté until they are soft, about four minutes.
Add the chicken broth, chicken, frozen corn, diced potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, and sage and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer, covered partially, for 5 minutes.
Whisk in the tapioca and simmer for 2 minutes before stirring in the cream.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
Serve the chicken corn chowder with crumbled bacon.
What Makes it Chowder Instead of Soup?
A chowder is a thick and chunky soup that is usually made with cream instead of broth. When fishermen first started making chowder it featured seafood, but not it can have meat, poultry or vegetables. This is a chowder because it uses cream and it is thick as opposed to being thinner with broth only.
Can I Make this Corn Chowder in My Crock-Pot?
If you wanted to make this chicken and corn chowder in the crock-pot instead of on the stovetop, it is easy to do. You will want to complete the steps and cook the chowder on low for 6 hours. You will be adding all of the vegetables and wait until the vegetables are soft. Then add the cream and tapioca to thicken the chowder and let it cook for another hour or so.
Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 ribs celery chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sage
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4-6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled for serving
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, red pepper, garlic and celery and sauté until they are soft, about four minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken, frozen corn, diced potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, and sage and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer, partially covered, for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the tapioca and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream and allow to simmer 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot topped with crumbled bacon.