The best part of the holidays is the amazing amount of desserts and treats. You can have as many as you want and people won’t look twice. So, why not add another great cookie recipe to your recipe book. This Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies are going to become a favorite in your household.
Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
These Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies are so delicious! This recipe is so easy to make and doesn’t have many ingredients. Your family and friends will be so excited to bite into these cream-filled cookie sandwiches and they may just fall in love. Be sure to save this one!
Gingerbread is one of those flavors that go along with the holidays. If you are a fan of gingerbread, you can enjoy this sweet and spicy aroma in so many different ways during the holidays. I make a variety of different recipes that use this delicious flavor throughout the holidays. One of my family’s favorite go-to desserts now is my Gingerbread Snowflake Cookie recipe! These are so good! Another favorite of my crew is my Gingerbread Mini Cheesecakes! These are really perfect little bites of deliciousness. If you prefer more of a warm beverage to sip on that is full of flavor, my Gingerbread Latte that can be made in a slow cooker will definitely hit the spot!
- Butter- You need unsalted to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugar- Every great dessert has sugar in the recipe.
- Light brown sugar- This sugar will add more flavor and moisture to your cake.
- Eggs- You will need your eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Molasses- You can use dark corn syrup as a substitute.
- Ginger- Using fresh ginger will have a better flavor.
- Cinnamon- You can ground your own cinnamon for the best flavoring.
- Nutmeg- This will add a wonderful aroma to your recipe.
- Cloves- This is an additional spice for flavoring.
- Salt- Adding this ingredient will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Flour- You can use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Baking soda- This will allow the ingredients to double in size.
- Powdered sugar- This sugar is perfect for homemade frostings.
- Heavy whipping cream- This will help with the consistency of the frosting.
How Do You Make Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
Set your oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line two cookie sheets.
Add the butter, sugar, and brown sugar into a large bowl and beat until combined.
Mix in the egg, vanilla, and molasses and beat until combined and fluffy.
Add in the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and baking soda into a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
Slowly add in the dry ingredients and beat until a dough forms.
Use a tablespoon or small scooper to scoop out the dough and use your hands to roll into a ball.
Add the 1 C of sugar to a bowl and roll the dough inside until coated.
Arrange at least 12 balls onto the prepared sheets and place them about 2 inches apart.
Place in the oven and bake for about 6-8 minutes or until the center is soft and the edges become firm.
Take out of the oven and set aside to cool and begin to make the frosting.
Add the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, heavy cream, and ground cinnamon into a standing mixer and beat until smooth and stiff.
Add the frosting into a piping bag and begin to match the cookies with other cookies around the same size.
Start to add dollops of the frosting onto each cookie bottom.
Put the top on top of the filling and gently press down.
What is the Best Filling for These Cookies?
The best filling for these Gingerbread cookies is what is used in the recipe. The filling is very easy to make with very few ingredients. Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting is very simple but tastes amazing with this recipe.
Do Cream Filled Cookies Have to Be Refrigerated?
This Gingerbread Cookie Recipe doesn’t contain anything like cream cheese. Normally, if something in the ingredients needs to be placed in the fridge that would cause the whole recipe to be put in the fridge. However, this recipe will not, but placing it in the fridge in an airtight container will help with the shelf life.
MORE GINGERBREAD RECIPES
- Gingerbread Poke Cake
- Moist Gingerbread Layer Cake
- Gingerbread Kiss Cookies
- Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies
- Delicious Gingerbread Monkey Bread
Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
- ½ C butter
- ½ C sugar
- ½ C light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ C molasses
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 C sugar to roll the dough in
- ½ C butter
- 1 ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Using a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until combined and fluffy
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and molasses into the batter until combined and fluffy
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, salt and baking soda
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until a dough forms
- Using a small ice cream scooper, or tablespoon, scoop out some dough into your hands and roll into a ball
- Roll the dough ball into the 1 C of sugar
- Place 12 cookie dough balls onto the cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart
- Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes or until the edges look firm but the center is still soft
- Remove from oven and place onto the counter to cool completely
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, heavy whipping cream and ground cinnamon until combined, smooth and stiff
- Scoop the frosting into a piping bag
- Match up the baked cookies to their size partner
- Using the piping bag, pipe small dollops of frosting onto the bottom cookie
- Place the top cookie back on top of the frosting and lightly press
- 1 large piping bag with a star tip