Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies
If you love the sugar cookies with the chocolate kiss on top and you love gingerbread cookies, you are going to love this combination. With the best of both in one cookie, this might be your new favorite cookie.
Can I Use Different Flavors in these Thumbprint Cookies?
There are many different flavors that will pair well with these cookies. You can use any of the flavors of kisses you like. You can also use other things inside of the area like caramel or other candies that melt well.
Ingredients you will need:
- Unsalted sweet cream butter
- Light brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- All spice spice
- Kosher salt
- Baking soda
- Pure vanilla extract
- Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers
- White sanding sugar
How to Make Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 and put parchment paper on 2 baking sheets.
In a medium bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
Using a mixer, beat together the butter and powder sugar until it is fluffy.
Beat in the molasses until combined and then add the vanilla and yogurt.
Gradually add in the dry ingredients until the dough forms.
Put the sanding sugar in a bowl.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out the dough and roll it into a ball. Then roll the ball in the sanding sugar.
Do this with the rest of the cookies. It will make 12 cookies.
Place 12 cookie dough balls onto the first cookie sheet
Use the back of the spoon to make an indent in the cookie.
Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes
Once the cookies are cooled, add the chocolate to the indent.
Let the cookies cool for 30 minutes.
Can I Freeze Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies?
If you want to free these cookies, you can freeze these cookies one of 2 ways. You can bake the cookies and then freeze them. The other way to freeze these cookies is to make the dough. You can freeze it as just the dough, or you can scoop the dough into cookies. Wait to put the kisses into the cookies until you are ready to bake them.
Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies
- 3/4 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 3/4 C packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 C molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 C flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp all spice spice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 24 Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers
- 1 container white sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, kosher salt and baking soda until combined
- Using a stand mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar until combined and fluffy
- Beat in the molasses until combined
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until a dough forms
- Pour the white sanding sugar into a small bowl
- Using a mini ice cream scooper, scoop some dough out and roll into a ball
- Roll the dough into the white sanding sugar
- Repeat the steps until all balls are formed and coated
- Place the cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets
- Using the back of a teaspoon or small spoon make an indent into the cookie dough balls
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes
- Place a Ghirardelli milk chocolate wafer into the indent of the cookies
- Allow the cookies to cool for another 30 minutes before enjoying!