This Honey Oat Bread Recipe is the best homemade bread you will ever make! Soft and fluffy oat bread with a touch of sweetness from the honey – perfect for hearty sandwiches and buttery toast.
Honey Oat Bread Recipe
Using just a few simple ingredients you can make this delicious Homemade Honey Oat Bread recipe.
You will also love our Homemade White Bread Recipe…it’s SO GOOD!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Old Fashioned Oats OR Quick Oats
- Active Dry Yeast
- Bread Flour
How To Make Honey Oat Bread Recipe
- Combing oats, honey, boiling water, butter and salt. Set aside.
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Combing the yeast mixture with the oat mixture and add in flour.
- Knead dough and place in a greased bowl and let rise.
- Cut the dough in half and place the two loaves of dough into two bread pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Brush the baked loaves with warm honey and sprinkle with oats.
Can I Make This Oatmeal Bread Recipe In The Bread Machine?
I have never made this recipe in the bread machine. However, I am sure this would be just fine. Just add the ingredients in your bread machine, punched in the “dough” setting, and walked away. Once the setting is complete shape the dough and place it in a standard bread machine pan. Bake it according to your bread machine instructions.
Tips for making the perfect Oatmeal Bread
- Make sure not to add water that is too hot, you don’t want to kill the yeast. Use a kitchen thermometer to make sure your warm water is around 110º if you want to be exact.
- Make sure to check the expiration date on your yeast to make sure it’s fresh.
- A stand mixer fit with a dough hook is a terrific way to knead bread or you can knead the dough the old fashioned way. It will give you a good arm workout!
- Letting the dough rise works best in a warm location. Cover the bowl with a warm damp towel. Make sure it’s not too hot or it will compromise the texture.
- The dough might be a bit sticky, but that is okay.
- You can add in ingredients to this homemade bread like raisins or other dried fruit. Also delicious with cinnamon and sugar before rolling and shaping into a loaf to make a cinnamon honey oatmeal bread. I prefer mine plain the way it is. It’s perfection!
Honey Oat Bread Recipe
- In a large bowl, combine boiling water, rolled oats, 1/2 cup honey, butter and salt. Let stand for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the oat mixture. Add 2 cups of bread flour; mix well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has come together (it will be sticky and that's okay), turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 20 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9×5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the loaves for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden browned. Remove loaves from pans, brush tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons of warmed honey and sprinkle with rolled oats.