If you want something full of bold citrus flavor that’s perfect for summer, you should try simple Shrimp Ceviche Recipe. Packed full of juicy shrimp, crunchy veggies, and creamy avocado. It’s tart, bright, and a little spicy.
Mexican Shrimp Ceviche Recipe
Looking to wow a crowd? This shrimp ceviche recipe will make you look like a pro! It’s delicious, bright, and feels like a fancy dish. Enjoy this as a fresh appetizer or as a snack with tortilla chips. Either way, it’s best eaten outside in the summer sunshine with a drink in your hand.
Traditionally, any type of ceviche is made with raw fish. This recipe calls for cooked shrimp. However, you can use raw shrimp if you feel confident enough to do so. Eat it cold and it must be very fresh to prevent sickness. It comes from South America originally and can be made in many different ways. The common ingredients are raw seafood, citrus juice, cilantro, and crunchy vegetables.
What You’ll Need
Make this with fresh veggies and shrimp to ensure the best flavors. The ingredients needed are so easy to find.
- Cooked Shrimp: Make sure they are fresh shrimp shelled and deveined. Chop them into small pieces.
- Red Onion: This must be diced finely so there aren’t huge bits of onion.
- Jalapeno Peppers: This also must be diced very fine. Remove the seeds and membranes so it’s not too spicy.
- Roma Tomatoes: Remove the seeds before dicing.
- Cilantro: Freshly chopped.
- Avocado: Peel, seed, and chop
- Lime Juice
- Lemon Juice
- Salt: The amount you use will be based on your preference. Add a little and taste to get it to your liking.
- Tortilla Chips
How to Make Shrimp Ceviche
Here are the instructions to make this easy shrimp ceviche recipe.
- Step 1. In a large bowl, lightly toss shrimp, onion, jalapenos, cucumber, tomatoes, and avocado together.
- Step 2. Pour lime juice and lemon juice over the top and mix.
- Step 3. Add a pinch of salt and adjust to taste.
- Step 4. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 5. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- If you would like to refrigerate the shrimp ceviche longer, leave out the avocado. Prepare and add it in right before you serve.
- Instead of cilantro, you can use parsley. I love the flavor of cilantro but not everyone does.
- Any tomato can be used in place of Roma tomatoes. Another plum tomato would be perfect.
- It is not necessary to peel your cucumber. This is totally up to your preference.
- I recommend fresh lime and lemon juice for the fresh citrus marinade, but you can use bottled if you have that instead.
- For variation, you can add corn, sliced radishes, serrano chiles, or green onion. You can never have too many vegetables.
What to Serve With This Easy Shrimp Ceviche
- Tortilla Chips. This is the classic option! You can scoop it like fresh salsa. It’s delicious this way.
- Tacos. Instead of pico de gallo, add this shrimp ceviche to tacos.
- Rice. Serving this over white rice or Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice can turn this recipe into a unique and healthy meal.
- Beans. Refried beans or black beans are a great side to pair with shrimp ceviche.
- Tostadas. Serve this ceviche on top of a crunchy tostada with a little sour cream or avocado crema.
How to Store Leftovers
This shrimp ceviche recipe is best enjoyed within a day of making it. You only need to refrigerate it for 30 minutes for the flavors to come together. Any longer than a day and the veggies will start to lose their crunchy texture.
More Shrimp Recipes to Try
More Salsa and Salad Recipes to Try
- 2 pounds cooked shrimp cooked, peeled, deveined, tail removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper and seeds removed then minced
- 1/2 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 avocado peeled seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- salt to taste
- tortilla chips for serving
- Place the shrimp,onion, jalapeno, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado in a bowl.
- Pour the lime and lemon juice over the shrimp mixture. Add salt to taste. Gently toss to coat.
- Cover the mixture and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve chilled with tortilla chips if desired.