18 Crazy Cool Things Every Left-Handed Kiddo Should Know
If you have a kiddo who is left-handed, celebrate Left Handers Day on August 13th by sharing these cool kid facts that make being a leftie totally awesome!
To All the Awesome Left-Handed Kids Everywhere
This was written just for you because we wanted you to know some of the reasons why you’re so lucky to be left-handed!
1. You were probably left-handed in your Mom’s tummy. Unborn babies show off in ultrasounds by moving their left arm and hand more than their right. Ask your Mom or Dad if you waved at them before you were born.
2. Southpaw is a fun word you can use to describe yourself. It sounds a little like there might be an animal called South! Nope. What it actually means is that you are left-handed.
4. Some people in your family are probably left-handed. That’s because using your left-hand runs in families. Who is it in your family?
5. There have been plenty of US presidents who were left-handed. Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan (who wrote with his right hand), George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama are all lefties.
6. You get to have special scissors if you want. In fact, they are made especially for kids like you!
Only 10% of people in the whole world are left-handed. You’re so special!
7. People who are left-handed get their own special day! It’s true! International Left-Handers Day is celebrated on August 13 each year. Make sure you celebrate!
8. Coaches love having lefties on their teams. If you can bat, pitch, catch, throw, with your left hand, it’s harder for kids who use their right hands to know what to expect!
9. The best seat in the restaurant booth is always yours. You know why? When you use your left hand to eat, you sort of elbow the person sitting to your left. Of course, they don’t want to keep getting poked in the ribs by your elbow, so they’ll give you the outside seat.
On Left Handers Day, ask everyone in your family to eat supper using only their left hand! FUN!
10. There have always been lots of left-handed major league baseball players. Babe Ruth was left-handed, and so was Lou Gehrig. Are you good at baseball?
11. Lots of super-smart people in history were (and are) lefties. Of course, Albert Einstein and Leonardo da Vinci are two of the most famous lefties from before you were born.
12. It’s possible you can solve all sorts of problems faster. People who are left-handed seem to be able to come up with a lot of solutions to one problem. That’s amazing!
13. Do you love singing? Some say lefties can remember songs better. Can you guess what a song is after only hearing a few notes?
14. Betcha you like to win more than some of your friends. It’s evolution at work. You might be more competitive than your right-handed friends.
Colorful pencil grips for lefties will make writing easier for you.
15. Are you a good dancer? Part of that could be true because you are a southpaw.
16. Imagination is fun, and you’re probably very good at it. That’s right! Lefties often have very creative minds.
17. Are you really good at remembering directions to places? Thanks, left hand.
18. The man who invented the iPhone was left-handed. The guy who invented Facebook was also a southpaw. What are you going to invent, my young left-handed friend? Believe in yourself and let your brain go wild!
A 2013 study found that lefties have better “mental flexibility, inhibitory control, and working memory operations” — this makes lefties master multiple tasks and great leaders!
How many lefties are in your family?
Are you a southpaw? Any leftie tips and tricks you’d want to share to help kids learn to appreciate their specialness?