This Mississippi Mud Cake is a moist chocolate sheet cake that is covered in melted marshmallows and is topped with a creamy chocolate fudge frosting.
Best Ever Mississippi Chocolate Cake
This amazing recipe is so good with a rich and decadent flavor! This simple-to-make recipe resembles the muddy banks of the Mississippi. The main chocolate cake has walnuts mixed in with marshmallows and chocolate frosting to give it a sweet, nutty, and chocolatey flavor.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Flour: I prefer to use all-purpose flour with baking powder and baking soda to allow the cake to rise in the oven perfectly.
Sugar: You will need a combination of granulated sugar for the cake batter and powdered sugar for the frosting.
Cocoa Powder: I prefer to use Hershey’s brand of unsweetened cocoa for the cake and frosting to give it the best quality.
Sour Cream: This will be used to keep the cake super moist and delicious.
Marshmallows: Use mini marshmallows for this recipe or if you don’t have mini, you can cut large marshmallows into smaller pieces. But, mini works best.
How To Make Mississippi Mud Cake
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use Pam baking spray to lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and combine. Add the oil, eggs, vanilla, milk, and sour cream into a large mixing bowl and combine using an electric mixer. Be sure to not overmix. Gradually add in the hot water and combine on low speed for 1 minute. Pour in the dry mixture and combine with the wet until fully incorporated.
Step 2. Add the prepared batter into the sheet pan and place it in the oven for 30 minutes to bake. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. Take the cake out and top with mini marshmallows before placing back into the oven for an additional 2 minutes until the marshmallows and melted slightly and are puffy. Take out of the oven and let the cake cool thoroughly.
Step 3. Add the butter into a small saucepan and melt before slowly adding in the heavy cream and cocoa powder. Allow the mixture to cool for 2 minutes while mixing constantly. Take away from the heat and pour in the vanilla and powdered sugar and whisk to combine until smooth. Drizzle the chocolate frosting on top of the cooled cake right away. Place the cake into the fridge for 25-30 minutes to set the frosting. Once the frosting is set, serve, and enjoy!
Does Mississippi Mud Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
This recipe does not need to be refrigerated. You will need to set the frosting in the fridge before leaving it at room temperature. But, other than that, this recipe can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature, in the fridge, or freezer. Although, this cake can tend to dry out if kept in the fridge.
Can These Become Chocolate Mud Cupcakes Instead?
Yes! You can make this delicious recipe into cupcakes if you desire. You can prepare the recipe like normal and pour the batter into cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full before baking. Add the marshmallows on after they are finished baking.
More Cake Recipes:
- Andes Mint Poke Cake
- Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake
- Strawberry and Cream Cake
- Easy Cherry Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Old-Fashioned Cajun Cake
- Chocolate Depression Cake
Mississippi Mud Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar granulated
- ½ cup cocoa unsweetened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup oil vegetable, or canola
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk whole
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup water boiling
- 10 oz marshmallows mini
- ½ cup butter salted, softened
- 6 Tbsp heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, combine oil, eggs, vanilla, milk, and sour cream until combined. Do not overmix.
- On low speed, slowly add the boiling water. Beat on high speed for 1 minute. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and mix until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven. Sprinkle the top with mini marshmallows and return to the oven for 2 minutes or until the marshmallows are puffy and slightly melted. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Gradually add heavy cream and cocoa powder. Cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and powdered sugar using a whisk. Beat until smooth. Immediately drizzle over the cooled cake. Refrigerate for 25-30 minutes until frosting has set.