Santa always seems to take all the sweets during Christmas, so why don’t we leave some behind for his wife with these Mrs. Claus Cookies? They are red velvet cookies with white chocolate peppermint balls in the center.
Santa Christmas Cookies
These cookies are so addicting that she won’t be able to get enough. You may just have to make two batches of this recipe. They are bright red and baked to fluffy and soft perfection. The chocolate ball in the center makes the cookies a gooey texture that just melts in your mouth.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar: You will need granulated sugar for the cookie batter and red decorating sugar to sprinkle on top of the finished cookies.
Food Coloring: You will need true red food coloring. I like to use gel food coloring so it blends easier into the batter.
Flour: You will need cake flour and all-purpose flour for the best results along with baking soda to allow the cookies to rise and cornstarch to help with the consistency.
Chocolate: You will need cocoa powder to flavor the cookies along with white chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips.
How To Make Mrs. Claus Cookies
Step 1. In a heat-safe bowl, add in the melting white chocolate wafers and heat for 30 seconds on high. Take out of the microwave and mix. Put it in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds to fully melt. Put in the cane bits once melted and combine them before adding them into the silicone mold. Place the mold in the freezer to chill for 30-45 minutes until firm.
Step 2. Add the butter and sugar into the bowl of a standing mixer and combine for 1 minute on medium before increasing to high. Blend until fluffy, and combined. One at a time, add in your eggs, and vanilla extract, and combine on medium. Add the flour, cocoa, salt, cornstarch, and baking soda into a large bowl and combine using a whisk. Put the red food coloring into the sugar mixture and combine on medium. Gradually combine the dry and wet ingredients for 1 minute on low before turning up to medium for an additional minute until fully incorporated.
Step 3. Take the bowl off the mixer and use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl to incorporate all of the dough. Put in the white and milk chocolate chips and use your hands to combine. Place it aside. Add the red decorating sugar and crushed candy canes into a small bowl and mix to combine. Place it aside. Set the oven to 410 degrees and use a silicone mat or parchment paper to line 2 baking sheets. Portion the dough into balls using an ice cream scoop and rolling into a ball. Continue until all the dough is used and arrange it onto the prepared pans. Slice each ball down the center and flatten the two halves and arrange them back onto the prepared pans.
Step 4. Take the chocolate balls out of the freezer and place one ball on one side of the cookie dough in the middle. Use the other half of the cookie ball and place it on top of the chocolate. Seal and form the dough around the chocolate ball using your hands to form a dough ball. Roll in the prepared sugar/candy cane mixture before placing back on the baking sheets. Continue until all the balls have been coated. Place in the oven for 11-13 minutes to bake. Allow the cookies to cool slightly before serving warm. Enjoy!
Variations For Mrs. Claus Cookies:
You can use the options below to alter the recipe to your liking.
- You can use green food coloring instead of red food coloring.
- Use milk chocolate wafers instead of white chocolate.
- Feel free to leave out the peppermint if you don’t want it.
Tips & Tricks
- Place any leftover cookies in an airtight container for the best storage method
- You can keep these at room temperature or in the fridge. These will last up to 2 weeks.
- To reheat, place the cookies in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- If you don’t have a mold, you can put a spoonful of chocolate on a tray on sprinkle with crushed candy canes however they won’t look as nice.
More Christmas Cookies:
- Christmas Spritz Cookies
- Chocolate Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
- Christmas Kitchen Sink Cookies
Mrs. Claus Cookies
White chocolate candy cane balls
- silicone mold Bite-sized
- 2 cups White chocolate melting wafers
- ½ cup candy cane bits
- ½ cup red decorating sugar
- ½ candy canes crushed
Candy cane balls
- Add your melting white chocolate wafers to a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir.
- Place back in the microwave for another 30 seconds. Repeat the steps until fully melted.
- Once melted add your candy cane bits and stir to combine. Slowly pour your melted chocolate into the silicone molds. Place in the freezer for 30-45 minutes until solid.
- Prepare your cookiesIn the bowl of a stand mixer add your butter and sugar. Mix on medium for 1 minute then increase to high until fully combined and nice and fluffy. Add your eggs one at a time, vanilla extract, and mix on medium until combined.
- In a large bowl add your flour, cocoa, salt, cornstarch, and baking soda. Whisk until combined. Add your red food coloring to your sugar mixture and mix on medium until combined.
- Now slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients Mix on low for 1 minute then increase your speed to medium for another minute or until fully combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Scrape the sides of the bowl to combine all of the dough. Add the chocolate chips and white chocolate chips to the dough and use your hand to blend all ingredients. Set to the side.
- In a small bowl add the red decorating sugar and crushed candy canes. Stir to combine. Set to the side. Preheat your oven to 410 degrees and line 2 baking pans with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out your cookie dough and roll it into a ball. Place on the baking sheet, and repeat until all dough is made into balls. Cut each dough ball in half and flatten each of the halves, and place it back on the baking tray. Remove your chocolate balls from the freezer.
- Place 1 chocolate ball on 1 ½ cookie balls in the center of the dough. Place the second half of the dough ball on top of the chocolate ball. Using your hands form the dough around the chocolate ball. Roll the dough in your hands to form a ball.
- Take the dough ball and roll it in the red sugar mixture. Place the dough ball back on the baking sheet. Repeat the steps for all of the dough balls. Bake in the preheated oven for 11-13 minutes. Allow cooling slightly. Serve the cookies warm. Cookies can be reheated in a microwave for 30 seconds