All moms and dads should have an arsenal of natural health tips for the minor, everyday health problems that come up. This list is a very good start.
I have a deep respect for nature and all the ways it benefits us as human beings. We’re only around the planet for a very short time. But the plants, herbs, and minerals on Earth? They were here before we were and they’ll be here long after we’ve gone.
If you feel the same, I bet you’ll want to read about all the powerful ways a simple humidifier can help your family, as well this post about natural allergy remedies. Oh! And if you have some favorite natural ways to help your family, it would be amazing if you’d leave your tip in the comments. Thank you a bunch.
Natural Health Tips
I know that not every natural solution to a problem works. As a result, I’m pretty cautious when choosing which remedies I feel are safe. Before you try any of the tips I’m sharing with you, please do your own research and if you have any doubts, call your doctor.
1. Homemade Banana Cough Syrup. Mix 2 ripe, mashed bananas into 1 1/2 cups of boiling water and let it sit for a half hour. Add 2 TBSP raw honey and mix well. Take as needed, heating the syrup each time. It’s a great way to provide relief for bronchitis.
2. Carrots For Insect Bites & Stings. Grate a carrot as fine as possible and put it in a folded paper towel. Put the paper towel on the insect bite. It will help with swelling and irritation.
3. Zap Pimples With Honey. Apply a dot directly to the bump. Repeat as needed.
4. Poison Ivy Can’t Stand Up to Coffee. Don’t throw away your coffee grounds. The acid they contain will help calm the itching and inflammation when you apply them directly on the rash.
5. Cheese Beats Leg Cramps. Eat an ounce before bed to ease middle of the night cramps. The magnesium and calcium work together to save the day.
6. Motion Sickness and Olives. If you can get them down, eat a couple of olives when you are suffering from motion sickness. They slow down the production of saliva which should help.
7. Toenail Fungus Is Gross But Vinegar Will Help. Make a foot bath of half white vinegar and half water and soak at least once a day.
8. Bye-bye Constipation. Drink 8 ounces of unfiltered Aloe Vera juice and then the same amount of apple juice. In short, this combination is pretty darn powerful.
9. When Menstrual Cramps Are Too Much. Drink a nice ginger tea for immediate relief and start taking fish oil every day for long term relief.
10. Cold Sores Are the Worst. Put baking powder directly on the sore at night. It’ll help it close up and heal faster.
11. Hemorrhoids and Witch Hazel. You may be using witch hazel for your face because it’s such a great astringent. Ease hemorrhoids by patting a little on the area several times a day.
12. A Little Help for Irregular Periods. You’ll, of course, want to see a doctor because irregular periods could be behind a whole host of health problems. But in the meantime, pick up some Black Cohosh in the vitamin and mineral section of your local pharmacy.
13. Oral Thrush Can Be Beat. Swish a mixture of a half cup of water with one TBSP of apple cider vinegar. Use it as a mouth wash until the thrush is gone.
14. Soothe the Gunkiest of Throats. Turn on a humidifier and put a warm compress on your neck. It really does work wonders.
15. Turmeric and Arthritis. Generally speaking, turmeric capsules that you find in your local store are pretty powerful in helping with arthritis, both OA and RA. Take them as a preventative way to counter arthritis pain and inflammation.
16. Heal Sores and Cuts. Plantain grows wild in yards all across the country. If you have some in your yard, you can apply the crushed leaves to the sore spots or cuts to help heal and offer some relief as well. It’s called a “spit poultice” because people chew it up really well and then spit it out to put on a wound. (Here’s what plantain looks like so you can identify it.)
Which Of These Natural Health Tips Have You Tried?
I’m a big fan of plantain leaves, in particular. They are good for so many things and since it grows like mad in yards and fields everywhere, you might be able to walk outside right now and get some.
To sum up, natural remedies have been around longer than we have and we should take them seriously for all sorts of illnesses and ailments. If you’re interested in learning about natural remedies, there are plenty of books on Amazon that will help you understand all you need to know in order to make the right choices for yourself and your family.