Apple Pie Recipe – Easy and Homemade
This Apple Pie Recipe is Perfection! The combination of sweet and tart apples with a delicious flaky crust puts this pie over the top. It’s hard to believe that a homemade pie this good is so easy to make!
This classic apple pie has inspired so many of our other recipes including our Apple Pie Cake, Apple Struesel Slab Pie, Mason Jar Lid Apple Pies, and Caramel Apple Crisp Cups. Now we can share with you our perfect classic apple pie recipe. We love serving this with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. It’s also wonderful just on it’s own.
Easy Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
Ingredients you will need:
- Brown Sugar
- Lemon Juice
- Pastry for Double Pie Crust
What kind of Apples for Apple Pie?
You can use a mix of Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples for this pie, but feel free to use any kind of baking apple that you prefer.
For the best apple flavor, use more than one variety of apple. Use apples that will hold their shape during baking: Granny Smith, Ginger Gold, Cameo, Jonagold, Northern Spy, and Delicious are some good choices.
- You can reduce the sugar by half in the recipe or use a sweetener substitute made for baking.
- Make sure to slice your apples about 1/4-inch thick. Slicing them too thin will make the filling turn mushy.
- Make sure to prep your apple pie filling first, then prep your pie crusts. This will give the apples time to release their juices.
- You can add 1 cup of dried cranberries for to the filling if you prefer. This gives a pretty look for the Holidays.
- Sprinkle some coarse sugar on the top of the crust before baking for added sweetness and texture.
Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon great nutmeg
- 6-7 cups apples peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pastry for double crust (9 inches)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large egg white
In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.