This delicious and spreadable Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe is perfect for any occasion. You can enjoy it as a dip or as a sandwich spread. Have you never had it before? If you love creamy and cheesy dips, you’ll likely be a fan of pimento cheese!
An Easy and Creamy Cheese
What’s great about these types of recipes is how easy they are to make. There’s no cooking required! All you really have to do is mix all of the ingredients with minimal prep and effort. This means you can enjoy it that much faster!
What is Pimento Cheese?
Pimento cheese is a classic southern staple. It’s cheesy, tangy, and versatile. A common way to use this is to spread it on a sandwich and that’s it. I know it sounds strange, but so many people love it! If you’re not from the south, you likely have never tried it. You also have probably never heard its other names such as “Southern Pate” or “Caviar of the South.”
The star ingredient pimento peppers are a type of cherry pepper. They are sweet and bright red. If you like olives, then you probably have had pimentos before! Pimento stuffed olives are a very popular variety.
Ingredients Needed to Make this Pimento Cheese Recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this yummy Homemade Pimento Cheese.
- Cream cheese – This adds extra creaminess and tang.
- Sharp white cheddar cheese – One of the most important ingredients for pimento cheese.
- Mayonnaise – Another important ingredient!
- Pimentos – Can’t have pimento cheese without pimentos.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh chives – This is a garnish that adds freshness and flavor.
How to Make the Best Pimento Cheese Recipe
This is an incredibly simple recipe to put together. It literally only takes minutes!
- Shred Your Cheddar. Shred all of the sharp cheddar cheese needed. Reserve 1 cup and add the rest to your food processor.
- Combine Ingredients. Add cream cheese, pimentos, and mayonnaise to the cheddar in the food processor bowl.
- Add Seasonings. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and pinches of salt and pepper to the cheese mixture.
- Blend. Pulse this mixture in the food processor until it is combined. You do not want to over-blend it because it is not meant to be smooth.
- Transfer. Pour the pimento cheese into a large bowl and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Garnish. Garnish with fresh chopped chives right before you serve.
Tips and Tricks
These are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions. If you are unsure, you’ll like find what you’re looking for here.
Cheddar Cheese. Make sure to use cheese from a block rather than pre-shredded. Cheese that you can buy shredded includes an additive that prevents clumping and that it makes it more difficult to combine it with the rest of the ingredients. Choose any brand of cheddar cheese you like but I definitely recommend going with a sharp cheese.
Freezing. You can definitely freeze the pimento cheese if you wish. Just keep in mind that the texture will be slightly different. It will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Serving. Crackers, veggies, and pretzels are great dippers for pimento cheese. Or you can just spread it on bread and enjoy the classic sandwich! You can give our Homemade Tuna Salad or Egg Salad Sandwich a try too!
Make it Spicy. Add ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper for a little bit of heat if you desire.
Mayonnaise. I believe that the brand of mayonnaise you use doesn’t matter. Just pick your favorite!
Food Processor. Don’t own a food processor? You can use the pulse setting on your blender as well.
Pimento Substitute. If you can’t find fresh pimento or cherry peppers at the grocery store, you can use roasted red peppers instead. You can also use a jar of already chopped pimentos. Drain the liquid before adding it to the cheese, and fold them in after you pulse the other ingredients. This way you will still have the recognizable peppers.
How to Store Leftovers
Storing leftovers of your pimento cheese is easy! Just store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It will last up to 5 days. Luckily, this is a cold spread so all you need to do is stir it before use and you’re ready to go.
More Cheesy Dips and Spreads Recipes
- Cheeseburger Dip
- Philly Cheesesteak Dip
- Bacon Cheddar Dip
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- French Quarter Cheese Spread
Pimento Cheese Recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 16 oz sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz pimentos drained
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Shred the sharp white cheddar cheese and set aside 1 cup.
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise and pimentos in a food processor bowl.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, kosher salt and pepper to the mixture.
- Pulse the mixture until it is mixed. Be careful not to over blend the mixture, it will not be smooth.
- Remove from the food processor and place in a medium bowl. Add the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the pimento cheese.
- Right before you are ready to serve the pimento cheese, add fresh chives to the top.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
1 thought on “Homemade Pimento Cheese Recipe”