Southern Red Velvet Cake is will be your new favorite dessert. With its red color and chocolate flavor, it pairs fantastically with the homemade creamy cream cheese. Red Velvet is popular around Christmas and Valentine’s Day because of the gorgeous color, but enjoy the sweet treat any time of the year.
I am a sucker for red velvet and enjoy anything with the rich taste. Try this delicious twist on red velvet with Red Velvet Peanut Butter Blossoms
Layered Southern Red Velvet Cake
Southern red velvet cake is one of those cakes that once you have it, you will be craving it all the time. The red and white create a gorgeous contrast and the taste is just out of this world. Perfect all year round, this is a great Valentine’s Day.
Is Red Velvet Cake Chocolate Cake?
The difference between red velvet cake and chocolate cake is the type of cocoa that is used. Traditionally, red velvet cake got its red color from the natural cocoa. Typically red velvets made now are colored red with red food coloring.
How to Keep a Basic Cake Recipe Moist
Fat tends to make the cake moist. Using eggs and milk will make the cake bake up more moist. Also, do not over bake the cake. When you bake the cake for too long it will dry the cake out. When the cake is done baking, you will want to make sure you store it properly to make sure it stays moist and does not dry out. Make sure the cake is covered well to prevent it from going stale.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Red velvet cake mix
- Canola oil
- Unsalted butter
- Cream cheese,
- Powdered sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
How to Make a Southern Red Velvet Cake
Spray 3 cake pans with baking spray and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You can line the cake pans with parchment paper if you want.
Using a mixer, mix together all of the cake batter ingredients.
Divide the cake batter between the cake pans and bake for 28 to 35 minutes.
Cakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool completely
Once the cakes are cooled, make the cream cheese frosting.
Using a mixer, beat together the butter and the cream cheese.
Slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla until it is creamy and smooth.
Decorating the Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cut off the domed part of the cake and save it to make the crumbs.
Pace the first layer on a 10 inch cake board.
Scoop 1 cup of frosting and put it in a piping bag.
Then scoop 1 cup of frosting onto the layer of cake and smooth it out.
Add the next cake layer on top.
Put another cup of frosting on top and smooth it out.
Add the 3rd layer of cake and frost the entire cake.
Use the leftover cake crumbs and coat the bottom of the cake.
Using the piping bag, pipe dollops of frosting around the cake.
Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 boxes of red velvet cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- ⅔ C canola oil
- 2 C water
Cream cheese frosting Ingredients
- ½ C unsalted butter softened
- 1 - 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 C reserved red velvet cake crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spay cake pans with pam baking spray
- Using a large mixing bowl and hand mixer, beat together all cake ingredients until combined and smooth
- Divide the cake batter between the three cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 28-35 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely
Cream cheese frosting directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter and cream cheese
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until combined and smooth
Building and decorating directions
- Cut off the domes of the cake and crumble into a bowl, set aside
- Place the first layer of the cake onto a 10inch round cake board
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag
- Scoop 1 C of frosting onto the first cake layer
- Smooth evenly
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first layer of frosting
- Scoop another cup of frosting onto the second cake layer and smooth evenly
- Place the last cake layer on top
- Using the remaining frosting, frost entire cake
- Using the cake crumbs, coat the bottom layer of the cake
- Pipe dollops of frosting on the top of the cake
- Sprinkle some cake crumbs onto the top of the cake
- Cut and enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
1 thought on “Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting”
I tried out a cake with the above recipe. The cake was very soft and tasty. Thank you.