Can I Freeze Turtle Cookies or Cookie Dough?
If you love to have homemade cookies but don’t always have time to make cookie dough, you might reach for the premade cookie dough at the grocery store. You can make up batches of this cookie dough and freeze it for later use. It doesn’t take much time to make more than one batch as it does it make one. Make an extra batch and store it in the freezer. You can store it as a whole batch or scoop the cookies and have them ready for the oven.
Can I Substitute Walnuts for Pecans?
There are many times that I am making different recipes that call for pecans. To give the recipe a twist, or because I only have walnuts or walnuts are on sale, I will substitute the pecans with walnuts.
Ingredients for Turtle Cookies
- Unsalted sweet cream butter
- Light brown sugar
- Ground ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Baking soda
- Pure vanilla extract
- Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers
- Caramel Squares
How to Make Turtle Cookies
Start with a 350 preheated oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
Using a mixer, beat together the butter and powder sugar until it is fluffy.
Beat in the molasses.
Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until it is combined.
Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until it forms a dough.
Put the chopped pecans into a small bowl.
Use a small ice cream scooper to scoop out the dough balls.
Roll the dough into the pecans and place it on a cookie sheet. Repeat, until the cookies are all scooped and covered in pecans.
Use the back of a small spoon to make an indent into the cookie dough balls
Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes
Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes
Using the back of a teaspoon, make an indent into the center of the cookie.
Melt the caramels on 30-second increments until it is melted.
Spoon the melted caramel into the indention
Then melt of the Ghiradelli chocolate
Scoop into the piping bag and cut the tip-off and drizzle it over cookies
Allow hardening to happen for a few minutes
Let cookies to cool for another 30 minutes before enjoying it!
- 3/4 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 3/4 C light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 C molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 C flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp all spice spice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 24 Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers
- 1 C pecans chopped
- 1 bag Caramel Squares unwrapped and melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, kosher salt and baking soda until combined
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter and powder sugar until combined and fluffy
- Beat in the molasses until combined
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until a dough forms
- Pour the chopped pecan into a small bowl
- Using a mini ice cream scooper, scoop some dough out and roll into a ball
- Roll the dough into the chopped pecans
- Place the cookie dough ball onto the cookie sheet
- Repeat the steps 11 more times
- Place 12 cookie dough balls onto the first cookie sheet
- Using the back of a teaspoon or small spoon make an indent into the cookie dough balls
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes
- Using the back of a teaspoon, make an indent into the center of the cookie
- Melt the caramels on 30 second increments
- Spoon the melted caramel into the indention
- Melt 1 C of the Ghiradelli melting chocolate
- Scoop into the piping bag and cut the tip off
- Drizzle over cookies
- Allow to harden for a few minutes
- Allow the cookies to cool for another 30 minutes before enjoying!