Peanut Butter Cookies
The easiest recipe for soft and chewy, Classic Peanut Butter Cookies topped with a sprinkle of sea salt! These kid-friendly cookies come together in about 30 minutes. They’re full of peanut butter flavor and downright irresistible!
Classic Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies
This is the best recipe for classic peanut butter cookies! Easy to make and even better to snack on, this is a great cookie recipe to get the kids involved. The cookie dough comes together in minutes (zero chilling required!) and the end result is the most tender, soft and chewy cookies full of peanut-y goodness.
These homemade cookies are even topped with a sprinkle of sea salt to really make the flavor pop. A fresh batch of sweet and salted peanut butter cookies is hard to resist – I dare you to eat just one!
What You’ll Need
- Peanut Butter – Creamy peanut butter that’s shelf-stable will give the best outcome with these cookies. See below for more advice on the best peanut butter to use!
- Sugar – A combination of brown sugar and regular white sugar, for the perfect chewy cookie texture!
- Butter – One stick of unsalted butter, softened.
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract will always have the most authentic flavor!
- Flour – I use unbleached flour for the slightly denser texture it brings to these cookies.
- Baking Soda
- Sea Salt – Optional, but highly recommended for the crunch factor (and boost of flavor)!
What Kind of Peanut Butter is Best?
As mentioned, regular creamy peanut butter (think Jif or Skippy) works best for these chewy cookies.
Chunky peanut butter will also work if you’re after the extra texture and crunch. Just make sure you add in about a ¼ cup extra to compensate for the dry chunks of peanuts.
However, natural butters tend to separate and can lead to mixed results, particularly cookies that are dry and crumbly. For this reason, stick to the shelf-stable options!
How to Make Soft & Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
In three quick steps you can have this easy, no-chill cookie dough ready to bake!
Combine the ingredients. Soften the butter in the microwave. Add in the peanut butter and sugar, followed by the egg and vanilla, and finally the flour and baking soda to form the dough.
Scoop out the dough. Drop even-sized scoops of cookie dough onto a lined cookie sheet. Using a fork, gently press vertical lines into the tops of the cookies, to give them that classic look. Give the dough a sprinkle of sea salt.
Bake. Bake the cookies in a preheated oven, and then allow them to cool.
Can I Make the Dough in Advance?
You can make this peanut butter cookie dough up to 3 days in advance. The dough will need to return to room temperature before you plan to scoop it onto the baking trays, so remember to take it out of the fridge approximately half an hour before you plan on baking it!
Tips for Success
- Use real butter where possible. These cookies turn out the best when they’re made with real butter, and not shortening or imitation butters.
- Don’t forget the fork marks! Since peanut butter cookie dough won’t spread as naturally when baking, gently pressing down the cookie tops with a fork helps the cookies bake more evenly.
- Use a kitchen scale to measure. For the most accurate results, a kitchen scale is always the first choice! If you don’t have one, a handy trick is to measure ingredients like flour by spooning it into the measuring cup, and then levelling it off.
- Add chocolate. Get creative with dipping your cookies in chocolate, giving them a chocolate drizzle, or even adding in a handful of chocolate chips! Chocolate and peanut butter = winning combo!
Store these cookies airtight at room temperature, in a cool and dry location.
Do These Freeze Well?
The baked cookies can be stored frozen for up to 3 months! Place the cookies in a freezer-safe container or bag, with parchment paper between layers to keep them from sticking. Thaw the cookies at room temperature and enjoy!
More Easy Peanut Butter Cookies to Try
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick (softened)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- sea salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Soften butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Microwave an additional 5 seconds if needed.
- Add peanut butter, brown sugar, and sugar and mix well until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Slowly stir in the flour and baking soda.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough and place it on a cookie sheet (do not roll into balls or press down).
- Use a fork and create horizontal and vertical lines for the classic look of peanut butter cookies (do not flatten when you make the lines).
- Sprinkle the cookies with sea salt and bake for 9 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before moving to the cooling rack.