This 4th of July Poke Cake is the only dessert you will need to celebrate your independence! Everyone will love this colorful red, white, and blue cake topped with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Patriotic Poke Cake
I am obsessed with this extraordinary dessert and you will be too! You only need to use a basic cake, jello, whipped cream, sprinkles, and a few additional ingredeints to make it! Poke a few holes into the cooled cake and fill in with the jello, top with whipped cream and sprinkles and you are set! It is so soft and moist that it will just melt in your mouth. This recipe is so festive and eye-popping that anyone will be ready to dig in!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cake Mix: You will need white cake mix, eggs, and canola oil to make it even more moist.
- Jello: I use cherry for the red mixture and blue raspberry for the blue mix and boiling water.
- Whipped cream: I make a quick and straightforward homemade whipped cream. However, feel free to use store bough Cool Whip.
How To Make 4th Of July Poke Cake
- Make the cake mix. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use Pam baking spray to grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. Add the cake mix, egg whites, oil, and water into the bowl of a standing mixer and combine until smooth. Add into the prepared baking dish and place into the oven for 30-35 minutes to bake or until a toothpick comes out clean. Take it out and let it cool thoroughly before poking it with a wooden spoon.
- Prepare the jello mixtures. add the cherry jello and 1 cup of hot water into a small bowl and the blue raspberry with 1 cup of hot water in another small bowl. Combine before pouring into separate squeeze bottles. Add each of the colored mixtures into the holes you made earlier.
- Make the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese, 1/4 of the cherry jello, and 1/4 of the powdered sugar into 1 bowl and combine using a whisk until smooth. In another bowl, combine the rest of the cream cheese, 1/4 cup of the jello mixture, and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar until smooth.
- Assemble the cake. Spread the colored cream cheese mixture over the top then spread the whipped topping evenly over that. Chill for 4 hours. Top with colorful sprinkles and set in the fridge until it cools and sets. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Other Ways To Decorate 4th Of July Poke Cake?
You can decorate this patriotic poke cake in many ways. My go-to is whipped cream and sprinkles. However, you can top this recipe with cake toppers, fresh fruits, chocolate, etc. Anything you think will pair well with white vanilla cake will work with this recipe.
Tips & Tricks
- Use baking spray to grease the pan or use a light coating of butter or parchment paper.
- Add food coloring to the jello or whipped cream for an even brighter red and blue color.
- Use any kind of pan that you what or turn these into mini cakes or cupcakes, but you will have to adjust the baking time accordingly.
More Poke Cake Recipes:
Patriotic Poke Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with baking spray and set aside.
- Mix and bake the white cake in the dish, according to the package instructions for it. Remove the cooked cake, and let completely cool. Use the end of a wooden spoon to poke evenly out over the cake.
- In separate bowls, mix together the red and blue jello, each with one cup of boiling water. Spoon half (reserving the other half) of the jello mixture evenly out over the cake, making sure to pour and spread over the holes. For best presentation results, do a row of blue, then red, and repeat.
- Next, in two separate bowls, add 8 oz of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the remainder of the red to one bowl, and the blue to the other. Stir to completely combine. When smooth, add food coloring- as needed- to make the mixture more vibrant. Spread the red cream cheese mixture out evenly over the cake, then the blue. Chill for an hour.
- Spread the whipped topping evenly over the top of the cake. Chill for 4 hours. Sprinkle with the festive sprinkles right before serving. Slice and enjoy!