These White Queso Enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, queso blanco, heavy cream, jalapenos, and just a few other ingredients. They have a mild flavor that’s super cheesy and creamy with just a hint of heat from the jalapeno and salsa verde.
Easy White Queso Chicken Enchiladas
We love enchiladas in this house. I must make them at least a few times a month, though I’m always trying different variations. These white queso enchiladas are the newest family favorite.
Similar to the white chicken enchiladas we made in the past, these white queso enchiladas are filled with white chicken and cheese in a creamy sauce. These ones, however, are even thicker and richer, with a sauce made from queso blanco and heavy cream.
Salsa verde and jalapenos add a robust flavor, while still keeping the enchiladas on the mild side.
These make a great weeknight dinner, as all you need to do is combine the ingredients, roll the tortillas, top with cheese, and bake. Add a few toppings of choice and dinner is served!
What You’ll Need
These easy chicken enchiladas are just bursting with flavor. Scroll down to the recipe card to see the measurements.
- Olive oil – For sauteeing the jalapeno, onion, and garlic.
- Jalapeno – Remove the seeds before dicing it to control the heat.
- Onion & garlic – For flavor.
- Heavy cream – Creates the rich, creamy base for the queso sauce.
- Queso blanco – You can buy some at the store or use homemade white queso.
- Salsa verde – Salsa verde helps to balance out the creaminess by adding flavor and a very mild heat.
- Lime – Lime adds a burst of brightness to lighten up the dish.
- Chicken – You can cook and shred a chicken breast or use rotisserie chicken.
- Tortillas – I used 8″ flour tortilla.
- Cheese – I used Pepperjack for the added flavor but feel free to use your favorite shredded cheese.
- Cilantro – An optional topping.
How to Make White Queso Enchiladas
Here’s how to make these easy white queso chicken enchiladas.
- Prepare the filling. Saute the jalapeno, red onion, and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in the heavy cream, 1 cup of queso, salsa verde, and lime juice. Heat until simmering, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the chicken.
- Fill the tortillas. Add 3-4 tablespoons of the chicken mixture about 1″ from the bottom of each tortilla. Roll and place into a baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with all the tortillas and filling.
- Top with cheese. Top the enchiladas with the remaining queso and a cup of pepper jack cheese.
- Bake. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Enjoy. Let the chicken enchiladas rest for 5 minutes, then garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Tips & Variations
Here are a few helpful tips for making these white queso enchiladas, along with some variations.
- Switch up the cheese. You can use cheddar, mozzarella, a Mexican blend, or other similar shredded cheese in place of the pepper jack.
- Reduce the spice. These queso chicken enchiladas are not very spicy at all but if you want to reduce all of the heat, just omit the jalapenos.
- Don’t overfill the tortillas. It’s important that you’re able to fully roll and wrap the tortillas so that the filling doesn’t go everywhere. Even if it doesn’t seem like a ton, 2-3 tablespoons of filling is the perfect amount.
- Warm the tortillas. To make the tortillas more pliable, pop the stack of them in the microwave for 15 seconds or so before assembling the enchiladas.
What to Serve With Chicken Enchiladas
I like to serve these white queso chicken enchiladas with some toppings and sides. Here are a few suggestions:
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Guacamole or fresh sliced avocado
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Mexican rice
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced jalapenos or chiles
- Mexican street corn
- Hot sauce
I like to offer a handful of different options so everyone can serve themselves and top the enchiladas with whatever they’d like.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Leftover white queso enchiladas can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I like to reheat individual servings in the microwave but you can also reheat the entire pan of them in the oven at 350F until heated through.
Can I Freeze These?
Yes, these homemade enchiladas are ideal for making in advance. You can freeze them before or after baking. In both cases, wrap them tightly with plastic and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge then bake as directed or reheat until heated through in the oven.
More Easy Enchilada Recipes:
- Easy Beef Enchiladas
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Air Fryer Chicken Enchiladas
- Air Fryer Beef Enchiladas
White Queso Enchiladas
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Jalapeno Deseeded and Diced
- 3 Tbsp Diced Red Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Queso Blanco separated (homemade or store bought)
- ¼ Cup Salsa Verde
- Juice from ½ a lime
- 2 Cups Cooked and Shredded Chicken
- 6-8 8” Flour Tortillas
- 1 Cup Pepper Jack Shredded
- Fresh Cilantro Chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ and prepare a baking dish or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and heat over medium. To the pan, add the jalapeno, red onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add in the heavy cream, 1 cup of queso, salsa verde and lime juice. Stir and heat over medium until simmering, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded chicken. Set aside.
- On a clean surface, lay out the flour tortillas, add 3-4 Tbsp of the chicken mixture 1” from the bottom of the tortilla and roll, place the rolled tortilla into the baking dish seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Once all the tortillas are in the pan, spread the remaining 1 cup of queso over the top of the chicken tortillas and sprinkle with the 1 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375℉ for 20 minutes until the cheese has melted. Bake for another 5 minutes uncovered. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve. Enjoy!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.