Air Fryer Hush Puppies are so good alongside your seafood dinner or even just as a snack. This traditionally deep fried recipe has just as much yummy flavor in the Air Fryer.
These pair pretty great with our Crawfish Boil in the Instant Pot, but even if seafood isn’t your thing, hush puppies are still so yummy.
Air Fryer Hush Puppies
My first memory of a hush puppy is Long John Silvers. Is it the same for you? My dad would take me there when I was a kid and the hush puppies were my favorite part!
Why do they call Hush Puppies Hush Puppies?
Well, the legend is that when hunters and fisherman were frying their fish, they needed something to give the dogs that kept begging at their feet. They whipped these up and tossed them to the dogs so they’d leave the fisherman alone. What do you think?
Ingredients You Need:
- Baking Powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cream Corn
How Do You Cook Hush Puppies In An Air Fryer?
- Mix. In one bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In another, mix the wet ingredients. Add the corn and onions into the bowl with the wet.
- Combine. Mix both the bowls together into one big one.
- Roll. Roll the mixture into small balls and roll them in a shallow dish of cornmeal.
- Freeze. The hush puppies then need to freeze for 30 minutes to hold their shape.
- Cook. Put the hush puppies in the Air Fryer and spray with oil. Cook half way then turn them over. They are done when they are brown on the outside.
You can serve them with ketchup, BBQ sauce, or just eat them plain. Enjoy!!
More Great Recipes To Try
Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- 1 cup of yellow corn meal
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons of minced onion
- 1 can of cream style corn
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 large egg
- Spray oil
- In a medium bowl, mix the Corn meal, flour, baking powder, garlic salt and cayenne pepper until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk until mixed.
- Stir in the minced onion and cream style corn.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Place about a cup of corn meal in a shallow bowl and roll the hush puppies into small balls, then roll in the corn meal, and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place hush puppies in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, and place in the Air Fryer basket.
- Spray the hush puppies with the spray oil, set the temperature to 400 degrees, and set the time to 10 minutes.
- Check the hush puppies half way through cooking and turn the hush puppies, and spray again with the spray oil.
- Since Air Fryer's differ in cooking, make sure the hush puppies are cooked golden brown out side and are done in the middle. This may require additional time. Add 3 minutes, and cook again if not done.
- Continue until hush puppies are completely done in the center.
- When hush puppies are done, sprinkle with finely minced parsley, serve with Ketchup, and enjoy.